1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Should I use Morin or Kleppner and Kolenkow

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    I'm not really sure which one to use. Also, where does one go after that ? Taylor ? Symon?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Morin has a better and more modern treatment of relativity. K&K is extremely old, and the 2nd edition is not really much of an update.

K&K's agenda is basically to get students going on differential equations and vector calculus, possibly without having formally seen those topics in a math class yet. It has lots of challenging problems. If you can do the problems, you know you have a solid freshman mechanics background. I had the book as my freshman physics book in college, but I haven't taught from it. It's designed for people who have an extremely strong background in math, and realistically they should also have had high school physics.

I haven't learned or taught from Morin, but its agenda seems to be to introduce topics like Lagragians that are normally not encountered until upper-division mechanics. I don't really understand why this would be desirable.

Both of these are books designed for physics majors in an honors course at an elite university.

Just curious, why are you self-studying instead of taking a course?

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    I'm not in University yet. (It works differently where I am) And I have no idea where I'm going later on but I like learning physics so I wanted to do some things on my own and not waste time. I did do introductory Mechanics (Not that sophisticated, mainly algebra based) I want to understand Physics, not just do some formulas and plug in numbers.

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted