Should inaction be considered as an action in any case?

• Thread starter Jacky817
  • Start date
In summary: He was in a vegetative state and his family wanted to discontinue food and water and let him die. The family was charged with murder and eventually found not guilty. From a philosophical standpoint, I would say that inaction requires just as much, if not more effort than action. Lie on the couch all day sometime and try to truly be inactive, you might find it next to impossible.
Jacky817
For cases like euthanasia, in some countries, the moral code is that doctors is not allowed to actively do anything to kill the patients. So they will not feed the patients who are in coma/vegetable state so as to let them starve to death, thus an inaction which is considered morally acceptable.

So should inaction be considered as action in all cases or only in some cases and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say only inaction that has a reaction. But hopefully someone can expand a little more than I can on this

consequences are more easily attributed to inaction where the capacity for some other action would influence the outcome. Likewise, I think you have to distinguish between inaction with intent to allow something else to occur and inaction where no such intent was present. Of course, people who intend for bad things to happen by doing nothing rarely if ever take credit for their inaction; but if the consequences of inaction are positive instead of negative, they will gladly accept the benefits. For example, if your friend told you to sell a particular stock and your computer crashed and the stock went up, you would gladly accept the difference in revenue as your commission; yet if it went down, would you gladly pay the difference or would you say that your computer crashed and so it wasn't your fault and you shouldn't have to pay?

emmeighty said:
I would say only inaction that has a reaction. But hopefully someone can expand a little more than I can on this
Insofar as the law is concerned, inaction is considered to have stronger penalties than action. A man witnessing a murder who does nothing is considered to be abetting the criminal and can be tried for second degree murder. From a philosophical standpoint, I would say that inaction requires just as much, if not more effort than action. Lie on the couch all day sometime and try to truly be inactive, you might find it next to impossible. I am not a religious man, but I think this is why sloth is considered a sin. Doing nothing( especially in the face of horrors) is the worst form of apathy. Just look at the holocaust, or Kitty Genovese, when man is inactive, it allows for the active to commit atrocities.
-J

Whenever inaction is a conscious choice, it should be considered an action. So in other words to choose not to decide is a choice.

When deciding what's the right thing to do, we should consider them equivalent. But deeply rooted instincts often tell us otherwise.

Jacky817 said:
For cases like euthanasia, in some countries, the moral code is that doctors is not allowed to actively do anything to kill the patients. So they will not feed the patients who are in coma/vegetable state so as to let them starve to death, thus an inaction which is considered morally acceptable.

So should inaction be considered as action in all cases or only in some cases and why?
According to Church law food and fluids must be given. Check the case of Terry Schievo.

Related to Should inaction be considered as an action in any case?

1. What is the definition of inaction?

Inaction refers to the lack of action or failure to take action in a given situation or circumstance.

2. Can inaction be considered as an action?

It depends on the context in which it is being viewed. In some cases, inaction can be seen as a deliberate choice and therefore can be considered as an action. In other cases, it may simply be a lack of action and cannot be seen as an action.

3. How does inaction impact decision-making and problem-solving?

Inaction can have both positive and negative impacts on decision-making and problem-solving. On one hand, it can allow for more time to gather information and carefully consider options. On the other hand, it can lead to missed opportunities and delayed progress.

4. Is inaction always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some situations, inaction may be the best course of action. For example, if a decision is not urgent and more information is needed, inaction may prevent making a hasty and potentially harmful decision.

5. How can we determine when inaction is acceptable or when it becomes a problem?

This can vary depending on the situation and context. Generally, inaction becomes a problem when it leads to negative consequences or prevents progress from being made. It is important to carefully weigh the potential outcomes of both action and inaction in each individual case.