Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should TSM be Reinstated?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Aug 30, 2005 #1

Art

The Smoking Man (TSM) has been excluded from the forum following complaints from some members about the tone and alleged insulting nature of his posts. Does the policy enacted by this forum accurately reflect the views of the participants? Should the overall contributions from members such as TSM be given more weight when deciding on their debarment? To judge popular opinion I have constructed this poll with two options related specificaly to TSM asking should he be reinstated yes or no.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2005 #2
    I believe in the right of the owners and operators of this site to enforcing the rules they establish however they see fit. So I guess I am not really sure how to respond to your poll. I vote that it is up to the mods to determine if he should be reinstated.

4. Aug 30, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Awww TSM is gone? :frown: He was fun to argue with. A whole lot funner then you!! :cry: :cry: :cry: Oh TSM... i miss yoooooooooooooou!

But meh, TSM must have said some really out of line things that i wasnt aware of because in the conversations me and him had, no one said anything over the line and no one complained.

5. Aug 30, 2005 #4
    I think we all agree with this.

At the same time, if it is due in part to complaints from members, I can see why Art is putting this up for a vote. As posted elsewhere, liberal members tend to be more tolerant and not complain to moderators about some of the right-wing members who are just as offensive if not more. If it is a matter of the squeaky wheel getting oil than I am happy to speak in favor of TSM, and prefer this to complaining about other members who deserve to be banned even more.

6. Aug 30, 2005 #5
    According to Russ_Watters he collected 15 negative points and the server booted him.

How does the server keep score?

7. Aug 30, 2005 #6

Art

The mods award the points. :biggrin:

8. Aug 30, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Naa i think your ideolog theory is pretty baseless. We've seen muuuuch worse then TSM and no ones ever said a word. Hell the OP was much worse to some people and no one thinks of complaining. Hey im still here! :biggrin: I think we don't know the whole story.

Plus of course, the mods are all left-leaning so all signs point to something none of us have seen or know about.

9. Aug 30, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I know on another forum using this same format, you have a warning rating system that is collected by the server. In this forum, we're unable to see everyones warnings (check out the top right of the posts) but in another forum I go to, you can see peoples warnings and the corrosponding posts that made those warnings.

10. Aug 30, 2005 #9

Art

I have been warned by Evo at which time I was told there were many complaints from members who do not even post on the political forum. It appears based on your own admission above :biggrin: that there is a concerted attempt by rightwing members to get those they perceive as leftwing banned. Perhaps it is paronoia but it seems as if there are people who trawl through the posts looking for excuses to complain.

11. Aug 30, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I got my share warnings too but no bannings :)

12. Aug 30, 2005 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Inappropriate, guys.

13. Aug 31, 2005 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wrong, I never said who complained about your posts.

15 total warning points will get you banned. I will not discuss why TSM was banned, but he knows why and was given an opportunity to correct things, repeatedly, he apparently chose not to.

You seem to have already forgotten that the last member that posted here that got banned was extremely right wing, so much for your theory.

Behavior that repeatedly violates forum guidelines is what will earn a banning.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?