Reinstating TSM: A Debate on Forum Policies and Popular Opinion

• News
  • Thread starter Art
  • Start date
In summary, The Smoking Man (TSM) has been excluded from the forum due to complaints about the tone and nature of his posts. A poll has been created to gauge popular opinion on whether he should be reinstated. Some members believe that the policy enacted by the forum does not accurately reflect the views of the participants and that the overall contributions of members such as TSM should be given more weight in the decision. However, others believe that it is up to the moderators to determine if he should be reinstated. There has been speculation that there is a concerted effort by right-wing members to get left-wing members banned, but this has not been confirmed. The server keeps score through a warning rating system and members are given multiple opportunities to correct their

Should TSM be reinstated - Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Art
The Smoking Man (TSM) has been excluded from the forum following complaints from some members about the tone and alleged insulting nature of his posts. Does the policy enacted by this forum accurately reflect the views of the participants? Should the overall contributions from members such as TSM be given more weight when deciding on their debarment? To judge popular opinion I have constructed this poll with two options related specificaly to TSM asking should he be reinstated yes or no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe in the right of the owners and operators of this site to enforcing the rules they establish however they see fit. So I guess I am not really sure how to respond to your poll. I vote that it is up to the mods to determine if he should be reinstated.

Art said:
The Smoking Man (TSM) has been excluded from the forum following complaints from some members about the tone and alleged insulting nature of his posts. Does the policy enacted by this forum accurately reflect the views of the participants? Should the overall contributions from members such as TSM be given more weight when deciding on their debarment? To judge popular opinion I have constructed this poll with two options related specificaly to TSM asking should he be reinstated yes or no.

Awww TSM is gone? :frown: He was fun to argue with. A whole lot funner then you! :cry: :cry: :cry: Oh TSM... i miss yoooooooooooooou!

But meh, TSM must have said some really out of line things that i wasnt aware of because in the conversations me and him had, no one said anything over the line and no one complained.

Townsend said:
I believe in the right of the owners and operators of this site to enforcing the rules they establish however they see fit. So I guess I am not really sure how to respond to your poll. I vote that it is up to the mods to determine if he should be reinstated.
I think we all agree with this.

At the same time, if it is due in part to complaints from members, I can see why Art is putting this up for a vote. As posted elsewhere, liberal members tend to be more tolerant and not complain to moderators about some of the right-wing members who are just as offensive if not more. If it is a matter of the squeaky wheel getting oil than I am happy to speak in favor of TSM, and prefer this to complaining about other members who deserve to be banned even more.

According to Russ_Watters he collected 15 negative points and the server booted him.

How does the server keep score?

Skyhunter said:
According to Russ_Watters he collected 15 negative points and the server booted him.

The mods award the points. :biggrin:

Naa i think your ideolog theory is pretty baseless. We've seen muuuuch worse then TSM and no ones ever said a word. Hell the OP was much worse to some people and no one thinks of complaining. Hey I am still here! :biggrin: I think we don't know the whole story.

Plus of course, the mods are all left-leaning so all signs point to something none of us have seen or know about.

Skyhunter said:

I know on another forum using this same format, you have a warning rating system that is collected by the server. In this forum, we're unable to see everyones warnings (check out the top right of the posts) but in another forum I go to, you can see peoples warnings and the corrosponding posts that made those warnings.

Pengwuino said:
Naa i think your ideolog theory is pretty baseless. We've seen muuuuch worse then TSM and no ones ever said a word. Hell the OP was much worse to some people and no one thinks of complaining. Hey I am still here! :biggrin: I think we don't know the whole story.

Plus of course, the mods are all left-leaning so all signs point to something none of us have seen or know about.
I have been warned by Evo at which time I was told there were many complaints from members who do not even post on the political forum. It appears based on your own admission above :biggrin: that there is a concerted attempt by rightwing members to get those they perceive as leftwing banned. Perhaps it is paronoia but it seems as if there are people who trawl through the posts looking for excuses to complain.

Art said:
I have been warned by Evo at which time I was told there were many complaints from members who do not even post on the political forum. It appears based on your own admission above :biggrin: that there is a concerted attempt by rightwing members to get those they perceive as leftwing banned. Perhaps it is paronoia but it seems as if there are people who trawl through the posts looking for excuses to complain.

Well I got my share warnings too but no bannings :)

Inappropriate, guys.

Art said:
Wrong, I never said who complained about your posts.

15 total warning points will get you banned. I will not discuss why TSM was banned, but he knows why and was given an opportunity to correct things, repeatedly, he apparently chose not to.

You seem to have already forgotten that the last member that posted here that got banned was extremely right wing, so much for your theory.

Behavior that repeatedly violates forum guidelines is what will earn a banning.

Last edited:

1. Should TSM be reinstated?

This is a complex question and the answer may vary depending on who you ask. Some argue that TSM should be reinstated because they have a long history and have provided valuable contributions to the scientific community. Others believe that the decision to revoke TSM's status was made for valid reasons and should not be reversed.

2. What were the reasons for revoking TSM's status?

The decision to revoke TSM's status was made by a panel of experts who found that there were issues with the quality and accuracy of their research. Specifically, there were concerns about data manipulation and lack of transparency in their methods.

3. Has TSM made any efforts to address these concerns?

Yes, TSM has made efforts to address the concerns raised by the panel. They have implemented new protocols for data collection and analysis and have increased transparency in their research methods. However, some critics argue that these efforts may not be enough to fully restore their credibility.

4. What impact would reinstating TSM have on the scientific community?

The reinstatement of TSM would likely have a significant impact on the scientific community. It would restore their status as a trusted source of research and could potentially lead to collaborations and partnerships with other institutions. However, it could also raise questions about the integrity of the scientific review process and the consequences of revoking a prestigious institution's status.

5. Are there any alternatives to reinstating TSM?

There are a few possible alternatives to reinstating TSM. One option could be to allow TSM to reapply for their status after a certain period of time, during which they would need to demonstrate significant improvements in their research practices. Another option could be for TSM to merge with another institution that has a strong reputation and track record of producing high-quality research.