Should You Pursue a PhD in Science?

• Thread starter Tallus Bryne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, Professor Katz discourages students from pursuing PhDs in physics, and he believes that having lots of PhDs makes scientists more elite. He also recommends twofish-quant's and ParticleGrl's posts.
Tallus Bryne
"Don't Become a Scientist!"

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm an undergraduate physics student in Florida. I would like to go on to get a PhD in physics, but my knowledge on what to expect after that is quite limited. A friend of mine recently sent me an article written by Jonathan I. Katz, a professor of physics at Washington University, St. Louis, Mo. It is called "Don't Become a Scientist!"(http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html ). In the article, Professor Katz not only discourages students from pursuing PhDs in physics but also from pursuing science-focused PhD's in general. To anyone willing to take time to read the article, I would like to hear your opinion on the subject. For those of you who actually have or are attempting to get your PhD, I'd appreciate your point of view on this, especially. I'd rather a realistic perspective over a pessimistic one, and with this author it's hard to discern the realistic from the pessimistic. The best way I know how to achieve this is to seek out the people in this specific position themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There have been similar discussions like https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=576359.

I am not a physicist, but am sympathetic to the point of view expressed by Choppy in #4 of that thread. I believe that having lots of PhDs is good because knowledge is power, and experimentation done carefully and correctly is a way of getting knowledge. One can do science outside of academia, of course, eg. in baseball, but academic science is a route. I think having fewer PhDs would make scientists more elite, when one actually wants the opposite, having wide scientific literacy in the public. Again, having a PhD is not the only way to be scientifically literate, but it is a way.

I also recommend twofish-quant's and ParticleGrl's posts.

Since we already have (several) open threads, discussion should go on there.

I understand the concerns and frustrations expressed in Professor Katz's article. Pursuing a PhD in science is not an easy path, and it requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and perseverance. However, I believe that the decision to pursue a PhD should not be solely based on the opinions of one person, but rather on an individual's own passion, interests, and goals.

Yes, there are challenges and obstacles in the academic world, such as funding issues, intense competition, and the pressure to publish. But these challenges are not unique to the field of science, and they exist in many other professions as well. In fact, I believe that these challenges can also be seen as opportunities for growth and development.

Furthermore, a PhD in science can open up a wide range of career opportunities, both within and outside of academia. It is not just about becoming a professor, but also about using your skills and knowledge to make a positive impact in the world. Scientists play a crucial role in addressing global issues such as climate change, disease prevention, and technological advancements.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a PhD in science should be based on your own passion and drive for the subject. It is a challenging but rewarding journey that can lead to personal and professional growth. So my advice would be to carefully consider your interests and goals, and make an informed decision that is right for you. Do not let one person's opinion discourage you from pursuing your dreams.

1. Why shouldn't I become a scientist?

There are many reasons why someone may not want to become a scientist. Some may not have a strong interest in science or the necessary skills for the field. Others may not have the resources or opportunities to pursue a career in science. Additionally, the demands of a career in science can be physically, mentally, and emotionally taxing.

2. What are the negative aspects of being a scientist?

While being a scientist can be incredibly rewarding, there are also some negative aspects to consider. These may include long hours, intense competition for funding and publications, and the pressure to constantly produce groundbreaking research. Additionally, the work can be isolating and may require a lot of time spent in front of a computer or in a lab.

3. Are there any alternative careers for those interested in science?

Yes, there are many alternative careers for those interested in science. Some may choose to pursue science communication, teaching, or science policy. Others may use their scientific background in fields such as data analysis, consulting, or healthcare. It's important to explore different options and find a career path that aligns with your interests and strengths.

4. What skills are necessary to become a successful scientist?

To be successful in the field of science, one must have a strong foundation in scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills. Additionally, good communication, problem-solving, and time management skills are crucial. A strong work ethic, perseverance, and adaptability are also important traits for a successful scientist.

5. What can I do to decide if becoming a scientist is the right choice for me?

The best way to decide if becoming a scientist is the right choice for you is by gaining hands-on experience in the field. This can include internships, volunteer opportunities, or even job shadowing. It's also important to talk to current scientists and ask them about their experiences and advice. Ultimately, it's important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and goals before making a decision.