Shouldn't this force have a horizontal component, too?

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension vector of a rope at point A and its calculation in relation to the sum of all moments on joint C. The solution manual states that the tension vector only has a vertical component, but the speaker disagrees, arguing that it also has a horizontal component. They provide equations and diagrams to support their argument and conclude that there are multiple mistakes in the solution manual. They plan to create a correction manual with the help of physicsforums.com.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
In the solution manual (which I never trust) the tension vector of the rope that emerges from point A only has a vertical component when calculating the sum of all moments on joint C. I disagree with the solution manual, since this vector also has a horizontal component, and if you calculate its arm it's simply 20sin(20). Sure, small arm and weak vector compared to the vertical one, but still a vector. Am I right?

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1845/horiz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, I think you are right.

If you call the components of tension in the rope Tx and Ty, you have two equations:

1. Take moments about C.
2. The resultant of Tx and Ty acts along the direction of the rope (so you need to work out the angle of the rope to the vertical, from the geometry).

I did using law of cosines than law of sines, it's 62.4 :) Thanks

*snaps finger* another mistake found!

That's practically the 4th mistake, I think.

I'm seriously going to author a correction manual to the solution manual, I will credit physicsforums.com for helping me. I doubt I'll publish it officially, but it will at least be in my college's library and have my professor's stamp of approval.."at least" :)

1. What is the concept of a horizontal force?

The concept of a horizontal force refers to a force acting in a horizontal direction, parallel to the surface on which it is applied.

2. Why is it important to consider the horizontal component of a force?

It is important to consider the horizontal component of a force because it can affect the motion of an object in a specific direction, as well as contribute to the overall net force acting on the object.

3. How is the horizontal component of a force calculated?

The horizontal component of a force can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically cosine, to find the adjacent side of a right triangle formed by the given force vector and the horizontal direction.

4. Can a force have a horizontal component without a vertical component?

Yes, a force can have a horizontal component without a vertical component. This means that the force is acting solely in the horizontal direction and not in the vertical direction.

5. In what situations would the horizontal component of a force be relevant?

The horizontal component of a force is relevant in any situation where the motion of an object is affected by forces acting in a horizontal direction, such as in projectile motion or motion on an inclined plane.