1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show by induction that a given polynomial is an integer

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show with mathematical induction that [tex]\frac{n^5}{5} + \frac{n^4}{2} + \frac{n^3}{3} - \frac{n}{30} \in {Z}[/tex] for all [tex]n\ge 1[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Probably.

3. The attempt at a solution

Inductive statement: [tex]Q(n)[/tex]: [tex]\frac{n^5}{5} + \frac{n^4}{2} + \frac{n^3}{3} - \frac{n}{30} \in {Z}[/tex]

[tex]Q(1)[/tex]: [tex]\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{30} = 1 \in {Z}[/tex]

Since [tex]Q(1)[/tex] is true, assume that [tex]Q(n)[/tex] is true. Show that [tex]Q(n) \Rightarrow Q(n+1)[/tex].

[tex]Q(n+1)[/tex]: [tex]\frac{(n+1)^5}{5} + \frac{(n+1)^4}{2} + \frac{(n+1)^3}{3} - \frac{(n+1)}{30} = \frac{(n+1)(6(n+1)^4 + 15(n+1)^3 + 10(n+1)^2 - 1)}{30} = ... =

\frac{6n^5 + 45n^4 + 130n^3 + 119n}{30} + 6n^2 + 1[/tex]

I'm not getting anywhere. I tried to assume that [tex]Q(n+1)[/tex] is true and to subsequently show that [tex]Q(n+1) \Rightarrow Q(n+2)[/tex]. That attempt yielded no results. I also tried to show this with modular arithmetic, but it made the induction seem redundant. Furthermore, I wasn't successful in using modular arithmetic to show the validity of [tex]Q(n+1)[/tex].

I'm just not sure how to attack this. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, hi. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How have you compared f(n) against f(n+1)? (where I'm using f to denote the function in n you're studying)

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    In my example above: I guess I have not. I have considered to rewrite [tex]{Z}[/tex] as 2k and 2k+1 ([tex]k \in {Z}[/tex]) (or as 2n and 2n+1?) and study the two separate cases of f(n)=2n and f(n)=2n+1 (e.g. two equations rather than f(n) being defined by the corresponding R.H.S.). However, I couldn't think of a mathematically valid reason to use n as a variable, and introducing k as a new variable seems like a bad idea.

Edit: Updated a few instances of P(n) and P(n+1) to Q(n) and Q(n+1), respectively, in the original post.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    When all else fails, just expand and see what you get.

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at f(n+1)-f(n) as Hurkyl suggested. Can you it's an integer?

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6
    Thanks; that worked out. Everything is so easy once you know what to do, surprisingly enough. frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook