1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show complex summation property

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex] f(z) = \sum_{n =-\infty}^{\infty} e^{2 \pi i n z} e^{- \pi n^2}.[/itex] Show that [itex] f(z+i) = e^{\pi} e^{-2\pi i z}f(z). [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Nothing specific I can think of; general complex analysis/summation techniques.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] f(z+i) = \sum_{n =-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \pi n z} e^{2 \pi i n z} e^{- \pi n^2};[/itex] I can't factor the new term out of the sum because it contains an n. I feel like I might be missing some sort of summation identity that can accomplish this. I also tried completing the square, but it didn't really get me far.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Messing around with the exponent,
    $$\exp(-2\pi n z + 2 \pi i n z - \pi n^2) = \exp(2 \pi i (n+1) z - \pi (n+1)^2 + 2\pi n + \pi - 2\pi i z - 2\pi n z) = e^\pi e^{- 2\pi i z} \exp(2 \pi i (n+1) z - \pi (n+1)^2 + 2\pi n(1-z))$$
    An index shift leads to
    $$e^\pi e^{- 2\pi i z} \exp(2 \pi i n z - \pi n^2 + 2\pi (n-1)(1-z))$$
    which looks quite nice. But how to get rid of the last part?

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    That's really cool; it does simplify the problem a lot. But I'm having a bit of trouble getting rid of that last term. I tried shifting the index once more, but that doesn't seem to help. It can't be factored out, and it's definitely nontrivial for a given term. Could you give me some tips as to how to approach it?

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't know. The approach gives the required prefactors, so it might be something into it, but I don't know how to get rid of that additional term.
    It is trivial for z=1, and the function is periodic with a period of 1, therefore the equation is true for integer z.

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5
    It seems z = 1 + ik, where k is an integer. It is also interesting to notice that f(z) is periodic with 1, as mfb has said. Then the relation between f(z) and f(z+i) must hold for z = r + ik, where both r and k are integers.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted