Show convergence of weierstrass product

In summary, $f(z) = \prod\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1+z^{2^n}\right)$ converges on the open disc $D(0,1)$ to the function $\dfrac{1}{1-z}$. The sum, $\sum\limits_{n = 0}^{\infty}|z|^{2^{n}}$, converges for $|z| < 1$ and is equal to $\frac{1}{1-z}$. To show uniform convergence on compact subsets of $D(0,1)$, we can use the comparison test and show that for $|z| < 1$, $\sum\limits_{n=
Dustinsfl
$f(z) = \prod\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1+z^{2^n}\right)$ converges on the open disc $D(0,1)$ to the function $\dfrac{1}{1-z}$.

To show convergence, I look at
$$
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|z^{2^n}\right|
$$
correct?The sum, $\sum\limits_{n = 0}^{\infty}|z|^{2^{n}}$, converges for $|z| < 1$ i.e. we have a geometric series.
So
$$
\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}|z|^{2^{n}} = \frac{1}{1 - z},
$$
for $|z| < 1$

Is this convergence uniform on compact subsets of $D(0,1)$?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This should actually be done by the comparison test.

For $|z| < 1$, we have that
$$
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|z|^{2^n}\leq \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|z|^n
$$

So now I need to show by partial products that there are no zeros in $K\subset D(0,1)$. So I need to find an N such that forall n > N this holds. I am looking for some guidance on this piece.

$$
f(z) = \prod_{n=0}^{N}\left(1+z^{2^n}\right) \prod_{n=N+1}^{\infty}\left(1+z^{2^n}\right)
$$

We need to fix $R\in\mathbb{R}^+$. Let $N\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $|z_N|\leq 2R < |z_{N+1}$ (is this correct-the inequalities?).

The first partial product is finite on $D(0,1)$ and the second partial product behaves well on $D(0,1)$.

What would be my choice of $k_n$ for this product?

Last edited:
So continuing.Then for $|z|\leq R$ and $n>N$ we have
$$
\left|\frac{z}{z_n}\right| <\frac{1}{2}, \quad\forall n>N
$$
so by Lemma: If $|z|\leq 1/2$, then $\log\left[\prod\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{z}{z_n}\right)\right]\leq 2|z|^n$,
$$
\log\left|\left[\prod\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1-z^{2^n}\right)\right]\right| = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|\log(1+z^{2^n})\right| \leq 2\left(\frac{R}{z_n}\right)^{k_n}.
$$What choices of $k_n$ will allow convergence(uniform/absolute?).

1. What is the Weierstrass product?

The Weierstrass product is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to construct entire functions. It is an infinite product of polynomial functions with specific properties that can approximate any desired function.

2. How does the Weierstrass product show convergence?

The Weierstrass product shows convergence by using the properties of the product to approximate a given function with increasing accuracy. As more terms are added to the product, the approximation becomes closer to the desired function, showing convergence.

3. What is the importance of the Weierstrass product in mathematics?

The Weierstrass product is important in mathematics because it allows for the construction of entire functions that have infinite zeros. This is significant in many areas of mathematics, including number theory and geometry.

4. How is the Weierstrass product related to the Weierstrass function?

The Weierstrass product is used to construct the Weierstrass function, which is a continuous, non-differentiable function that is often used as a counterexample in analysis. The Weierstrass product is an infinite product, while the Weierstrass function is the limit of this product as the number of terms approaches infinity.

5. Can the Weierstrass product be used to approximate any function?

Yes, the Weierstrass product can be used to approximate any function. This is known as the Weierstrass approximation theorem, which states that any continuous function on a closed interval can be uniformly approximated by a polynomial function. The Weierstrass product can be used to construct this polynomial function.