Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show integral is equal to Bessel function

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure the following is true but I'm stuck proving it:
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-1}^1 \left(\frac{e^{\sqrt{1-y^2}}}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}+\frac{e^{-\sqrt{1-y^2}}}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}\right) e^{iyx} dy&=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\mathop\oint\limits_{|t|=1} \exp\left\{\sqrt{x^2-1}(t-1/t)/2\right\}t^{-1}dt\\
    &=J_0(\sqrt{x^2-1})
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

I tried the substitutions:

[tex]y=i/2(t-1/t)[/tex]
    [tex]y=1/2(t-1/t)[/tex]
    [tex]y=i/2\sqrt{x^2-1}(t-1/t)[/tex]

but not getting it. Also, I think only the first substitution converts the domain of integration into the required circle around the origin but that 's not too clear to me as well. Anyone can make a suggestion what to try next? Not sure if I should have posted this in the homework section.

Edit: Ok, I made a mistake in the Bessel integral notation. It's z/2 and not iz/2 so I changed it above and will re-do my calculations. May change things for me.

Thanks,
    Jack

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    You can expand the exponential term on the rhs as a product of two series:

[itex]\exp\left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{2}\left(t-\frac{1}{t}\right)\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(\sqrt{x^2-1})^n}{2^nn!}t^n\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(\sqrt{x^2-1})^k}{2^kk!}(-t)^{-k}[/itex]

and so it becomes
    [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(\sqrt{x^2-1})^{n+k}}{2^{n+k}n!k!}(-1)^k\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint\frac{t^{n-k}}{t}dt[/itex]

The contour integral is now 1 if [itex]n=k[/itex] and 0 otherwise, giving the series
    [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(\sqrt{x^2-1})^{2n}}{2^{2n}n!n!}(-1)^n[/itex]
    which is the series definition for [itex]J_{0}\left(\sqrt{x^2-1}\right)[/itex].

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    Ok, but that only shows how the RHS is equal to the Bessel function. I was wanting to figure out how to show the LHS is equal to the RHS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook