Show P^1 is homemorphic to S^1

• Thread starter jack8572357
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that P^1 (the set of all lines in R^2 through the origin) is homemorphic to S^1 (the unit circle). The speaker is struggling to find a function that satisfies the necessary criteria, and the respondent suggests using stereographic projection to create a function between P^1 and \mathbb{R}. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for a detailed explanation of the suggested approach.
jack8572357
Show P^1 is homemorphic to S^1
I know I need to prove there is a function satisfying it's 1-1 ,onto,continuous,and the inverse of function is continuous.However, I can't find it.Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of [itex]P^1[/itex]?

Knowing about stereographic projection might be helpful as well, so look that up.

P^1 is the set of all line in R^2(or R^2\(0,0), I forget which one is right) through the origion.

jack8572357 said:
P^1 is the set of all line in R^2(or R^2\(0,0), I forget which one is right) through the origion.

Can you attach to a line in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] a real number?? For example, given a line through the origin [itex]ax+by=0[/itex], I can look at the slope [itex]-b/a[/itex] (works if a is nonzero).

So, that gives a function between [itex]P^1[/itex] except one point and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then apply stereographic projection.

Would you say it in detail?I have no idea about it.

Related to Show P^1 is homemorphic to S^1

1. What does it mean for P^1 to be homeomorphic to S^1?

This means that there exists a continuous and invertible function between P^1 (the projective line) and S^1 (the unit circle) that preserves the topological structure of the two spaces.

2. How can we prove that P^1 is homeomorphic to S^1?

We can prove this by constructing a specific homeomorphism between the two spaces, such as the stereographic projection map, which maps points on the projective line to points on the unit circle in a one-to-one and continuous manner.

3. What are the practical applications of knowing that P^1 is homeomorphic to S^1?

This knowledge can be applied in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as topology, differential geometry, and complex analysis. It can also be used to solve problems involving transformations between different spaces.

4. Are there any other spaces that are homeomorphic to P^1 or S^1?

Yes, there are many other spaces that are homeomorphic to P^1 or S^1, including the real projective plane, the torus, and the Klein bottle. These spaces have different topological properties but can be transformed into each other using a homeomorphism.

5. How does the concept of homeomorphism relate to the more commonly known concept of isomorphism?

Homeomorphism and isomorphism are similar concepts, but they relate to different mathematical structures. Homeomorphism refers to preserving the topological structure of a space, while isomorphism refers to preserving the algebraic structure of a mathematical object. In some cases, a homeomorphism can also be an isomorphism, but this is not always true.