Show ψ(x,t) = f(x-at) + g(x+at) satisfies the wave equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MeMoses
Messages
127
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Show ψ(x,t) = f(x-at) + g(x+at) satisfies the wave equation (a^2)*(∂^2ψ/∂x^2)-(∂^2ψ/∂x^2)=0

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I think i just take the derivative twice and end up with something like the second derivative = a^2*second derivative. However how do I actually take the derivative of an equation like this? I know it will involve the chain rule, but how exactly? Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your f(x-at), set:
y=f(u)
u=x-at

Chain rule: dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx
dy/dx=f'(u)*1

This is how you can differentiate your function, same goes for differentiating to t.
If all goes well, the f'(u) should cancel out.
Also, you have the wrong wave equation there; both differentials are with respect to x. One should be to t.

Hope this helps.