Show that a distance preserving map T:X->X is onto

• Thread starter Ratpigeon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map
In summary, the author is trying to show that a distance preserving map is 1:1 and onto. The 1:1 part was easy, but he is stuck on proving it's onto.
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

I'm trying to show that a distance preserving map is 1:1 and onto. The 1:1 part was easy, but I'm stuck on proving it's onto...

Homework Equations

X is compact
T(X)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]X
THere's a hint saying to consider a point y in X\T(X) and consider the minimum distance
between y and x[itex]\in[/itex] T(X) (the infinum of d(x,y) for all x[itex]\in[/itex] T(X) where d is an undefined metric, and call it deltA)
Then it says to consider the sequence
yn=Tn(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

Because X is compact, and yn is a subset of X, it must be bounded (I think?) and have a convergent subsequence, and inf(d(T^n(y),T^n(x))=delta for all n (and x_n=T^n(x) will also have a convergent subsequence). Show that the limits of y_n and x_n provide a contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm really not sure where that hint is supposed to lead. Here is an alternative hint. You know X can be covered by a finite number of open balls of radius delta/2. Let N be the minimum number of open balls of radius delta/2 you need to cover X. Now throw away a ball containing x. It's doesn't intersect f(X). That means f(X) can be covered by N-1 balls. Do you see a problem looming here? Think about inverse images.

Is the next step something like:
Take a=sup(T(x'),T(x)) and because X is compact, it is closed, therefore using distance preservation of T there exists at least on x in X such that
d(x',x)=a
then lead this to contradiction?

Ratpigeon said:
Is the next step something like:
Take a=sup(T(x'),T(x)) and because X is compact, it is closed, therefore using distance preservation of T there exists at least on x in X such that
d(x',x)=a
then lead this to contradiction?

I don't see what contradiction that leads to.

Sorry - that one was completely off track, but I think I got it out now, thanks

1. What is a distance preserving map?

A distance preserving map, also known as an isometry, is a function that preserves the distance between any two points in a metric space. This means that the distance between two points in the domain is equal to the distance between their images in the codomain.

2. What does it mean for a map to be onto?

A map is onto, or surjective, if every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain. In other words, every element in the range of the map has at least one element in the domain that maps to it.

3. How can I show that a map is distance preserving?

To show that a map is distance preserving, you must first verify that the map is an isometry by checking that the distance between any two points in the domain is equal to the distance between their images in the codomain. This can be done through calculations or by using geometric reasoning.

4. What is the significance of a distance preserving map?

A distance preserving map is important in mathematics because it preserves the geometric structure of a metric space. This can be useful in applications such as geometry, physics, and computer science where accurate distances between points need to be maintained.

5. Is every distance preserving map onto?

No, not every distance preserving map is onto. For example, a map from a line segment to a point that simply collapses all points onto the same point would still be distance preserving, but it is not onto. To prove that a distance preserving map is onto, you must show that every point in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain.