1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a mapping is continuous

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the mapping f carrying each point [itex](x_{1},x_{2},...,x_{n+1})[/itex] of [itex]E^{n+1}-0[/itex] onto the point [itex](\frac{x_{1}}{|x|^{2}},...,\frac{x_{n+1}}{|x|^{2}})[/itex] is continuous.

2. Continuity theorems I am given.
    A transformation f:S->T is continuous provided that if p is a limit point of a subset X of S then f(p) is a limit point or a point of f(X).

Let f:S->T be a transformation of space S into space T. A necessary and sufficient condition that f be continuous is that if O is an open subset of T, then its inverse image [itex]f^{-1}(O)[/itex] is open in S.

A necessary an sufficient condition that the transformation f:S->T be continuous is that if x is a point of S, and V is an open subset of T containing f(x) then there is an open set U in S containing x and such that f(U) lies in V.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking to prove this I would have to find an open set in the range of this function and show that its inverse image is also open in the domain but I am not sure how I would go about doing that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2
    What is the definition of continuity you work with?

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    I have three. They are

A transformation f:S->T is continuous provided that if p is a limit point of a subset X of S then f(p) is a limit point or a point of f(X).

Let f:S->T be a transformation of space S into space T. A necessary and sufficient condition that f be continuous is that if O is an open subset of T, then its inverse image f^(-1)(O) is open in S.

A necessary an sufficient condition that the transformation f:S->T be continuous is that if x is a point of S, and V is an open subset of T containing f(x) then there is an open set U in S containing x and such that f(U) lies in V.

I updated the original post to reflect this.

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4
    I would use the first one. Given a sequence ## \mathbf{x}^{(n)} \rightarrow \mathbf{p} ##, prove that ## \frac {\mathbf{x}^{(n)}} {(x^{(n)})^2} \rightarrow \frac {\mathbf{p}} {p^2} ##.

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5
    I don't really understand. Can you elaborate a little bit? I don't know how I would show that a point [itex]x=(x_{1},x_{2},...,x_{n+1})[/itex] is a limit point.

7. Sep 29, 2012 #6
    You don't have to prove ## \mathbf{x}^{(n)} \rightarrow \mathbf{p} ##, this is an assumption. Given that assumption, prove ## \frac {\mathbf{x}^{(n)}} {(x^{(n)})^2} \rightarrow \frac {\mathbf{p}} {p^2} ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook