Show that an area function is constant with fund. thm of calc

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to show that the area function for a parabola in the first quadrant is constant. One method is to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, but there is debate about whether or not the division by a in the integrand satisfies the hypothesis. Another method is to show that the derivative of the area function is equal to zero. The conversation also mentions a typo in the original area function.
dustbin

Homework Statement

I need to show that the area function for a parabola in the first quadrant is constant.

Homework Equations

[tex] A(a) = \int^a_0 \frac{1}{a}-\frac{x^2}{a^3}\,dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Computing this integral gives an area of 2/3. Since the area will always be 2/3 and does not depend on the value of a, then the area function is constant. However, my question is about showing that the area function is constant using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

Can I use the FTC, legitimately? Or is the hypothesis of the FTC not satisfied because of the division by a in the integrand?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to show ##A(a)## is constant would be to show ##A'(a)=0##.

Right, but wouldn't that be using the FTC? Taking the derivative would result in:

[tex]= \frac{1}{a}-\frac{a^2}{a^3} = \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{a} = 0 [/tex]

NOTE: I made a mistake in my original area function above. I fixed the typo.

If a = 0, then the area under the parabola between 0 and 0 is clearly zero, so it's reasonable to assume that a > 0. You don't have to consider a < 0, since you're concerned with the area in the first quadrant.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a theorem that establishes the relationship between differentiation and integration. It states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding an antiderivative of that function and evaluating it at the bounds of integration.

How is the fundamental theorem of calculus used to show that an area function is constant?

The fundamental theorem of calculus can be used to show that an area function is constant by taking the derivative of the integral of the function. If the derivative is equal to zero, then the function is constant. This means that the rate of change of the area is constant, indicating that the area itself is constant.

What is an area function?

An area function is a function that represents the area under a curve. It is typically represented by the integral of a function over a given interval.

Can the fundamental theorem of calculus be used to show that any area function is constant?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus can be used to show that any area function is constant. As long as the function being integrated is continuous and has a well-defined antiderivative, the integral will be constant and the fundamental theorem of calculus can be applied to show this.

Why is it important to show that an area function is constant with the fundamental theorem of calculus?

It is important to show that an area function is constant with the fundamental theorem of calculus because it provides a mathematical proof that the area under a curve is indeed constant. This is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many applications, such as finding the area of a shape or calculating the total distance traveled by an object.