Show that lim x^(-1/3) +2x as x approaches inf is inf.

• Thread starter myanmar
  • Start date
In summary, the limit of h(x) as x approaches infinity is infinity, given x is not equal to 0 and h(x) = x^(-1/3) + 2x. This can be proven by evaluating the limit of x^(-1/3) as x approaches infinity, which is equal to 0, and then adding 2x, which approaches infinity. It is important to note that this proof was done using software, but it is recommended to understand the concept instead of relying on software.
myanmar

Homework Statement

Show that the limit of h(x), as x approaches infinity is infinity
Given:
x is not equal to 0
Def: h(x)=x^(-1/3) +2x

Homework Equations

Not sure here. Limit of a sum is the sum of the limits, etc.
I'm stuck within a piece of software. So, I'm able to apply equations that the software let's me.
I believe the software is called Maple, but I'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done a couple of these.
I try going in one direction and get stuck.

So I get to something like
( 1 + 2 ( lim x ^ ( 4/3 ) ) ( lim x ^ ( -1/3 ) )
where both limits are as x->inf

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't x be equal to 0?
Also, since the limit is the sum of limits, think about what happens individually to each of
lim (x->inf) x^(-1/3)
Which goes to 0 as x becomes infinitely large. (Think 1 / x^-3) x^-3 always gets larger, so since its in the denominator, it goes to 0.

But what happens when you look at the limit of 2x as x goes to infinity?

Sum the first answer and that and you'll have your answer.

Don't use software for this, trust me--you'll only be hurting yourself in the long run. Wrap your head around it conceptually.

The fact that x is not zero is given

I'm only using software because it's required by the course. It allows me to apply valid rules or rewrite expressions in equivalent forms. That's all. It sets limits on me by requiring me to solve problems. It doesn't care how I get to the answer as long I adhere to what it let's me do.

Thanks for your help, I've got the answer now.

The fastest way is first evaluating x^(-1/3), as x approaches infinity, is obviously equal to zero. Then, you're left with +2x, which is obviously infinity.

1. What does "lim x^(-1/3) +2x as x approaches inf is inf" mean?

This statement means that as the value of x gets closer and closer to infinity, the expression x^(-1/3) +2x also grows without bound and approaches infinity.

2. How do you show that the limit of x^(-1/3) +2x as x approaches infinity is infinity?

To show this limit, we can use the definition of a limit and show that for any given positive number M, there exists a value of x such that when x is greater than that value, the expression x^(-1/3) +2x will be greater than M.

3. Why is the limit of x^(-1/3) +2x as x approaches infinity equal to infinity?

This limit is equal to infinity because as x gets larger and larger, the term x^(-1/3) becomes smaller and smaller, while the term 2x becomes larger and larger. This results in the expression approaching infinity as x approaches infinity.

4. Can you graphically represent the limit of x^(-1/3) +2x as x approaches infinity?

Yes, we can graph the expression x^(-1/3) +2x and show that as x approaches infinity, the graph increases without bound, approaching the y-axis. This indicates that the limit of the expression is equal to infinity.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this type of limit?

Yes, this type of limit can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze situations where a quantity grows without bound as another variable approaches a certain value. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of population growth or the growth of a company's profits as the number of customers increases.