Show that Temperature remains unchanged in phase changes

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of proving that T remains unchanged in a phase change, and the use of mathematical equations and evidence to support this. The individual is seeking guidance on how to approach this problem and is considering using the phase rule, but is unsure if it is allowed in the course. They also inquire about how to use fractions in LaTeX. Some suggestions are made, including modeling heat capacity with a Dirac delta function, but it is noted that this may not provide a solid proof.
dRic2
Well, I have to show mathematically that T remains unchanged in phase change. I know it comes from sperimental evidences, but my professor asked to show it with "numbers". So I thought to go like this:

[tex](dH_l)/dt ≈ (dm)/dt) h_v + Q [/tex]

Energy balance for system (let's say it is liquid and changes into vapor). h_v is the entalpy flow-rate leaving the system (liquid) so it's the entalpy of the vapor. Q is the heat.

(dm)/(dt) is the mass (of vapor) leaving the system. In fact (mass balance) [tex](dm)/(dt) = - m_o [/tex] (the mass can only leave the system)

So:

[tex](dH_l)/(dt) = (dh_l m)/(dt) = m(dh_l)/(dt) + h_l(dm)/(dt) ≈ (dm)/(dt) h_v + Q [/tex]
[tex]
m(dh_l)/(dt) + h_l(dm)/(dt) ≈ (dm)/(dt) h_v + Q
[/tex]

[tex] m(dh_l)/(dt) ≈ (dm)/(dt) h_v - h_l(dm)/(dt) + Q = -Δh_ev * (dm)/(dt) + Q [/tex]

Now I have to show that, since dh = cp*dT, the equation gives 0 so that dT/dt = 0 -> T = cost.

I suppose the only way to show this is to say that these [tex] Δh_ev * (dm)/(dt) + Q [/tex] are equal because of the definition latent heat.

Is this right, or should I go for an other way?

ps: How to us fractions? It would be mush easier to visualize

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to use the phase rule?

dRic2 said:
ps: How to us fractions?
If you are asking how to call fractions in LaTeX, then just type \frac{A}{B}, where A goes into the numerator and B goes into the denominator. Here is what shows up: ##\frac{A}{B}##.

Chestermiller said:
Are you allowed to use the phase rule?
I think no. I mean, the course is "heat transfer" so I suppose I have to use energy balance equation. And by the way I think Gibb's rule is derived by the sperimental evidence that a one-component system's "state" is determined by defining 2 variables (like T and P) so I don't think I can use it here. Sorry for my English, I'm trying to translate and I hope I used the correct words.

Tio Barnabe said:
If you are asking how to call fractions in LaTeX, then just type \frac{A}{B}, where A goes into the numerator and B goes into the denominator. Here is what shows up: ##\frac{A}{B}##.

is there no other way? it takes to much to write frac{}{} every time... :(

dRic2 said:
is there no other way? it takes to much to write frac{}{} every time... :(
Unfortunately, no. :frown:

dRic2 said:
I think no. I mean, the course is "heat transfer" so I suppose I have to use energy balance equation. And by the way I think Gibb's rule is derived by the sperimental evidence that a one-component system's "state" is determined by defining 2 variables (like T and P) so I don't think I can use it here. Sorry for my English, I'm trying to translate and I hope I used the correct words.
Not if there are 2 phases.

Chestermiller said:
Not if there are 2 phases.
Yes, I know. I said it's derived. I know the rule for a generic system with N components and F phases, but the "first" case (with F = 1 and N = 1) can not be stated other than by evidence. Anyway, suppose I can not use it. Any other suggestions?

dRic2 said:
Yes, I know. I said it's derived. I know the rule for a generic system with N components and F phases, but the "first" case (with F = 1 and N = 1) can not be stated other than by evidence. Anyway, suppose I can not use it. Any other suggestions?
Model the heat capacity by including a Dirac delta function in temperature at the phase transition. Of course, all this does is cause the enthalpy to undergo a discontinuous change equal to the heat of vaporization at the phase transition, while the temperature remains constant. So it doesn't really prove anything.

Chestermiller said:
Model the heat capacity by including a Dirac delta function in temperature at the phase transition. Of course, all this does is cause the enthalpy to undergo a discontinuous change equal to the heat of vaporization at the phase transition, while the temperature remains constant. So it doesn't really prove anything.
Mhm sounds too much... Can you tell my, by the way, what's wrong with my original thinking?

1. What is a phase change?

A phase change is a physical change in matter that occurs when a substance changes from one state to another, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas.

2. Why does temperature remain constant during a phase change?

Temperature remains constant during a phase change because the energy being added or removed is being used to break or form the intermolecular bonds between the particles of the substance, rather than increasing or decreasing the average kinetic energy of the particles.

3. Does this mean that no energy is being added or removed during a phase change?

No, energy is still being added or removed during a phase change, but it is being used to change the state of the substance rather than changing the temperature.

4. How does the temperature affect the rate of a phase change?

The temperature does not affect the rate of a phase change, as long as the substance is at the necessary temperature for the phase change to occur. However, increasing the temperature may speed up the process by providing more energy to break the intermolecular bonds.

5. Can a substance undergo a phase change without a change in temperature?

Yes, a substance can undergo a phase change without a change in temperature if it is at the necessary temperature for the phase change to occur. However, if the substance is not at the necessary temperature, then a change in temperature is needed to initiate the phase change.