Temperature change in pipe of flowing gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the rate of heat input, dQ/dt, by measuring the temperature and mass flow rate at the inlet and outlet of a heated pipe. The conservation of mass and energy equations are presented, along with the assumption of an ideal gas and neglecting the effects of velocity. It is suggested to either measure the velocities, assume incompressible flow, or include the conservation of momentum for a better analysis.
ppzmis
I have a pipe with a constant mass flow rate dm/dt of air being blown gently through which opens out into the atmosphere at both ends. At the middle point of this pipe it is heated at a constant rate dQ/dt. Assuming that the air is heated rapidly and all the heat is transferred to the gas is it possible to work out dQ/dt by measuring the temperature at the inlet and outlet and knowing dm/dt.

With an incompressible fluid this wouldn't be too hard but how would you do it for the gas since this is compressible? The enthalpy change = heat in. But how do you work out the enthalpy since this is neither constant pressure or volume? Any help appreciated

Science news on Phys.org
You could probably calculate the compressibility factor Z and use PV=ZRT for an approximation.

I think you can do this using just conservation of mass and conservation of energy. The conservation of mass says:

[tex]\dot{m}=\rho_i A v_i = \rho_o A v_o[/tex]

where [tex]\dot{m}[/tex] is the mass flow rate, A is cross sectional area of the pipe, [tex]\rho_i[/tex] and [tex]\rho_o[/tex] are the input and output mass densities of the gas, and [tex]v_i[/tex] and [tex]v_o[/tex] are the input and output velocities.

If we assume an ideal gas where the internal energy is [tex]U=C_v N k T[/tex] where U is internal energy, N is the number of particles, k is Boltzmann's constant, and T is temperature, [tex]C_v[/tex] is the specific heat, then the conservation of energy says:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\dot{m}v_i^2+C_v \dot{N}_i kT_i + \dot{Q} = \frac{1}{2}\dot{m}v_o^2+C_v\dot{N}_o kT_i[/tex]

where [tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] is the rate of heat input, but [tex]N\mu=m[/tex] where [tex]\mu[/tex] is the average mass per molecule, so substitute [tex]\dot{m}/\mu[/tex] for the [tex]\dot{N}[/tex] and solve for [tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] and we get:

[tex]\dot{Q}=\frac{\dot{m}}{2}(v_0^2-v_i^2)+\frac{C_v k \dot{m}}{\mu}(T_o-T_i)[/tex]

So you really need to know the input and output velocities as well as the temperatures. I am not sure, but since you said "gently flowing", you might be able to assume that the term involving the velocities is negligible, then you only need temperatures. If you cannot neglect velocities, then it gets more complicated, and you have to know the length of the pipe in order to solve the problem. Also, that probably means you have to account for viscous effects, and bring Poiseuilles law into the mix.

Edit: Thinking about this, if you ignore the velocity term, you just have the case for incompressible flow. In other words, you either need to measure the input and output velocities, assume incompressible flow, or we need a better analysis. The conservation of mass and energy equations are correct, I think, but we are missing the conservation of momentum, so "better analysis" means we need to include the conservation of momentum. This situation might qualify for incompressible flow, I will check that out.

Last edited:

What is the cause of temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas?

The main cause of temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas is the transfer of heat from the surrounding environment to the gas. This can happen through conduction, convection, and radiation.

How does the flow rate affect temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas?

The flow rate of the gas can affect the temperature change in a pipe by altering the rate at which heat is transferred to or from the gas. Higher flow rates can result in a larger change in temperature due to increased contact with the surrounding environment.

What factors can influence the rate of temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas?

The rate of temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas can be influenced by a number of factors, including the properties of the gas (such as specific heat and thermal conductivity), the material and thickness of the pipe, the flow rate, and the temperature of the surrounding environment.

Why is it important to monitor temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas?

Monitoring temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas is important for several reasons. It can help identify any potential issues with the system, such as leaks or blockages, and ensure that the gas is being transported at the desired temperature. It can also aid in maintaining the safety and efficiency of the system.

How can temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas be controlled or regulated?

Temperature change in a pipe of flowing gas can be controlled or regulated by adjusting the flow rate, insulating the pipe to reduce heat transfer, or using external heating or cooling methods. The specific method will depend on the desired temperature and the properties of the gas and surrounding environment.