Show that the groups are nilpotent

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary: To prove this, we can use the definition of a nilpotent group as mentioned above. We know that $1<N\trianglelefteq G$, which means that $N$ is a normal subgroup of $G$. This means we can find a series of normal subgroups $1=N_0\trianglelefteq N_1\trianglelefteq \dots \trianglelefteq N_k=G$ such that $N_{i+1}/N_i\subseteq Z(G/N_i)$. Finally, your third question. If $N\trianglelefteq G$ and $N\neq G$, then $N$ is nilpotent. This follows from the same argument
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $G$ be a finite group with the following property:

for each two of its subgroups $X,Y\subseteq G$ it holds either $X\cap Y=1$ or $X\subseteq Y$ or $Y\subseteq X$.

I want to show the following:
  1. If $H\leq G$ then either $|H|$ is a power of a prime or $|H|$ and $|G:H|$ are co-prime.
  2. If $1<N\trianglelefteq G$, then $G/N$ is nilpotent.
  3. If $N\trianglelefteq G$ and$N\neq G$, then $N$ is nilpotent.
As for 2. :

So that $G/N$ is nilpotent we have to find a series of normal subgroups
$$1\leq N_1\leq N_2\leq \dots \leq N_k=G/N$$
so that $N_{i+1}/N_i\subseteq Z((G/N)/N_i)$.

We have that $1<N\trianglelefteq G$.

Do we have to use the correspondence theorem to find he corresponding series for $G/N$ ? (Wondering)

But how can we show that quotient group belongs to the center? (Wondering)

But when we take the corresponding series, using the correspondence theorem, do we not get $1\leq G/N$ ? (Wondering)

That means that we have to check if $G/N\subseteq Z(G/N)$, or not? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

I would like to provide some insight and guidance on your questions.

Firstly, let's look at the definition of a nilpotent group. A group $G$ is said to be nilpotent if it has a series of normal subgroups $1=N_0 \trianglelefteq N_1 \trianglelefteq \dots \trianglelefteq N_k = G$ such that $N_{i+1}/N_i\subseteq Z(G/N_i)$ for all $i=0,1,\dots,k-1$. This means that each quotient group $N_{i+1}/N_i$ is contained in the center of the quotient group $G/N_i$.

Now, let's consider your first question. If $H\leq G$, then either $|H|$ is a power of a prime or $|H|$ and $|G:H|$ are co-prime. To prove this, we can use the fact that $G$ has the property that for any two of its subgroups $X,Y\subseteq G$, either $X\cap Y=1$ or $X\subseteq Y$ or $Y\subseteq X$.

Suppose $|H|$ is not a power of a prime. This means that $|H|=ab$ for some positive integers $a$ and $b$ where $a,b>1$. Now, consider the subgroup $K=\langle x^a\rangle \leq H$, where $x\in H$ and $|x|=ab$. This means that $|K|=b$ and $K\subseteq H$.

Next, let's consider the quotient group $H/K$. By Lagrange's theorem, we know that $|H/K|=a$. Since $a$ and $b$ are co-prime, this means that $|H/K|$ and $|K|$ are co-prime as well.

Now, let's look at the second possibility. If $|H|$ is a power of a prime, then $|H|$ and $|G:H|$ are clearly co-prime. Thus, we have shown that either $|H|$ is a power of a prime or $|H|$ and $|G:H|$ are co-prime.

Moving on to your second question, if $1<N\trianglelefteq G$, then $G/N$

Q1: What does it mean for a group to be nilpotent?

A group is considered nilpotent if there exists a positive integer n such that the nth term of its lower central series is the trivial subgroup. In simpler terms, this means that the commutator of the group elements eventually becomes the identity element after a finite number of iterations.

Q2: How does one show that a group is nilpotent?

To show that a group is nilpotent, one can use the lower central series. This is a sequence of subgroups of the group, where each subsequent subgroup is the commutator subgroup of the previous one. If the nth term of this series is the trivial subgroup, then the group is nilpotent.

Q3: What is the significance of nilpotent groups in mathematics?

Nilpotent groups have many applications in mathematics, particularly in group theory and abstract algebra. They are useful in understanding the structure of groups and have connections to other areas of mathematics such as number theory and geometry.

Q4: Can all groups be classified as nilpotent or non-nilpotent?

No, not all groups can be classified as nilpotent or non-nilpotent. There are certain groups that do not fit into either category, such as the symmetric groups and some infinite groups.

Q5: Are there any visual representations of nilpotent groups?

Yes, there are visual representations of nilpotent groups. One example is the Cayley graph, which is a way of representing a group as a graph where the elements of the group are represented as vertices and the group operation is represented as edges between the vertices. This can help in visualizing the structure of a nilpotent group.