1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Show that the nested intervals property fails for the rational numbers

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    In the field of formal rational functions, construct a nest of closed, bounded intervals whose intersection is empty. (That is, show that the Nested Intervals property fails in this field)

I know it has to involve radical 2 but because that is the only number we know is irrational but other than that I have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2
    Try 'centering' your intervals around an irrational (you should know more irrationals than that, but sqrt2 is still a good choice). For example, one interval can be [sqrt2 - 1/2, sqrt2 + 1/2]. Turn this into a nested sequence and consider what happens as the length of the intervals get very small.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there a topology assumed for this field? If so, what is it? I'm not sure what an "interval" looks like in this field.

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
    I suspected he meant the set of rational numbers (since this is a common problem and he didn't know any other irrationals so odds are he doesn't know what a topology is).

6. Mar 25, 2010 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point. I would like to point out one subtlety that he might otherwise overlook, namely that [sqrt2 - 1/2, sqrt2 + 1/2] in the rational field does NOT contain the endpoints since sqrt2 +/- 1/2 is irrational. It is nonetheless a closed (AND an open) interval.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook