1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov ....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm at the point in the problem where I need constants a and b satisfying

ax2(y-x3) + by2(-x-y3) < 0
    and ax2+bx2 > 0

for all (x,y)≠(0,0).

2. Relevant equations

Just in case you're wondering, this is to satisfy the V(x,y)=ax2+by2 > 0 and ΔV(x,y)•<y-x3, -x-y3> < 0 so I can apply that one theorem to my problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, it seems reasonable to choose a,b>0 to ensure ax2+bx2 > 0, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make ax2(y-x3) + by2(-x-y3) < 0 simultaneously.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov ..

For x=y, this can be simplified to ##(a-b)x^3 - (a+b)x^5 <0 ##, which cannot be true both for positive and negative small x.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Re: Show that the system has no closed orbits by finding a Lyapunov ..

You won't be able to do that: on the assumption that [itex]V = ax^2 + by^2[/itex] and [itex]\dot V = ax^2(y - x^3) - by^2(x + y^3)[/itex] your system is
    [tex]
    \dot x = \textstyle\frac12 x(y - x^3) \\
    \dot y = -\textstyle\frac12 y(x + y^3).
    [/tex]
    The fixed point at the origin is some kind of non-hyperbolic saddle: x = 0 and y = 0 are invariant. On x = 0, [itex]\dot y < 0[/itex] for [itex]y \neq 0[/itex] and on y = 0, [itex]\dot x < 0[/itex] for [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]. Thus there are points arbitrarily close to the origin where motion is unambiguously away from the origin, and at these points [itex]\dot V > 0[/itex].

However, you now know that no periodic orbit can cross the coordinate axes, so the origin cannot be inside a periodic orbit. Since the origin is the only fixed point (any other fixed point must satisfy [itex]x^8 = -1[/itex]), there can be no periodic orbits (because in a 2D system every periodic orbit must enclose at least one fixed point).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook