Show that this piecewise function is continuous at 0

In summary, the function ##f(x) = x \sin (\frac{1}{x})## is proven to be continuous at 0 by considering the difference ##|f(x) - f(0)|## and estimating it for the two cases of x = 0 and ##x \neq 0##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##f(x) = x \sin (\frac{1}{x})## for ##x \ne 0## and ##f(0) = 0##. Prove that this function is continuous at 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I need to look at the quantity ##|f(x) - f(0)|##. However, I am not completely sure how to proceed. I would think that we substitute ##x \sin (\frac{1}{x})## for ##f(x)##, but is this justified? Why can we guaruntee in this case that ##x## won't assume the value of 0 and hence be 0 rather than ##x \sin (\frac{1}{x})##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

##f(x) = x \sin (\frac{1}{x})## for ##x \ne 0## and ##f(0) = 0##. Prove that this function is continuous at 0.

Homework Equations

First, I need to look at the quantity ##|f(x) - f(0)|##.
Depending on how rigorous your argument needs to be, you might not need to look at this difference.
One definition for the continuity of function a at a number ##x_0## in its domain is this: ##\lim_{x \to x_0}f(x) = f(x_0)##

Mr Davis 97 said:
However, I am not completely sure how to proceed. I would think that we substitute ##x \sin (\frac{1}{x})## for ##f(x)##, but is this justified? Why can we guaruntee in this case that ##x## won't assume the value of 0 and hence be 0 rather than ##x \sin (\frac{1}{x})##?
Because in the definition you're dealing with a "punctured neighborhood" around 0.

I.e., if ##0 < |x - 0| < \delta##

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

First, I need to look at the quantity ##|f(x) - f(0)|##. However, I am not completely sure how to proceed. I would think that we substitute ##x \sin (\frac{1}{x})## for ##f(x)##, but is this justified? Why can we guaruntee in this case that ##x## won't assume the value of 0 and hence be 0 rather than ##x \sin (\frac{1}{x})##?

You can't substitute that value if you want to use epsilon delta definition.

You can however consider two cases: namely x = 0 and ##x \neq 0##. The former case gives always 0, so you can safely assume ##x \neq 0## and then you are allowed to plug in the expression.

It then boils down to estimating ##|x \sin(1/x) - 0|## for ##x \neq 0##, given that x is small, which ought to be straightforward.

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different formulas or expressions for different intervals of the input variable. This means that the function has different rules for different parts of its domain.

2. How do you determine if a piecewise function is continuous at a specific point?

To determine if a piecewise function is continuous at a specific point, you need to check if the function's left and right limits at that point are equal, and if the function's value at that point is equal to the limits. If both conditions are met, the function is continuous at that point.

3. What is the significance of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is an important concept in mathematics, as it ensures that a function is well-behaved and has no sudden jumps or breaks. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of a function at any point within its domain.

4. How do you prove that a piecewise function is continuous at 0?

To prove that a piecewise function is continuous at 0, you need to show that the function's left and right limits at 0 are equal, and that the function's value at 0 is equal to the limits. You can do this by evaluating the function at 0 and taking the limits from both the left and right sides of 0.

5. What are some real-world applications of piecewise functions and continuity?

Piecewise functions and continuity have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, piecewise functions can be used to model the motion of an object with changing velocity, and continuity is important in analyzing the behavior of physical systems. In engineering, piecewise functions are used to design systems with varying components, and continuity is essential in ensuring the smooth operation of these systems. In economics, piecewise functions can be used to model demand and supply curves, and continuity is crucial in predicting market behavior.