Show whether the given ODE is exact, then solve

• MHB
  • Thread starter r-soy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses a given ODE and how to determine if it is exact or not. It then goes on to solve the ODE using various steps and substitutions, including making the substitution v=y/x. The final step is to integrate to find a solution for the ODE.
r-soy
I am given the following ODE, and the instructions are to show whether it is exact or not, and then solve:

\(\displaystyle (x+y)dy=(y-x)dx\)

My first step, is to put the equation in the form \(\displaystyle M(x,y)\,dx+N(x,y)\,dy=0\):

\(\displaystyle (x-y)dx+(x+y)dy=0\)

Next, I compute the partials:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\delta M}{\delta y}=-1\ne1=\frac{\delta N}{\delta x}\)

Thus, I have found the equation is not exact.

Next, I want to find an integrating factor. First I consider:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\frac{\delta M}{\delta y}-\frac{\delta N}{\delta x}}{N(x,y)}=-\frac{2}{x+y}\)

Since this is not a function of just $x$, I next consider:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\frac{\delta N}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta M}{\delta y}}{M(x,y)}=\frac{2}{x-y}\)

Since this is not a function of just $y$, I next observe that the given ODE is homogeneous:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{y}{x}-1}{\frac{y}{x}+1}\)

So, I know I need to make the substitution:

\(\displaystyle v=\frac{y}{x}\,\therefore\,y=vx\,\therefore\,\frac{dy}{dx}=v+x\frac{dv}{dx}\)

and so the ODE becomes:

\(\displaystyle v+x\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{v-1}{v+1}\)

I know now that I must have a separable ODE:

\(\displaystyle x\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{v-1}{v+1}-v=\frac{v-1-v(v+1)}{v+1}=-\frac{v^2+1}{v+1}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{v+1}{v^2+1}\,dv=\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

At this point, I am unsure how to proceed. Should I write:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{2v}{v^2+1}+\frac{1}{v^2+1} \right)dv=-\frac{1}{x}\,dx\)

and now integrate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rsoy said:
http://www14.0zz0.com/2013/03/14/07/459161749.jpeg

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( \frac{x-y}{x^2 + y^2} \right) dx + \left( \frac{x + y}{x^2 + y^2} \right)dy &= 0 \\ \left( \frac{y - x}{x^2 + y^2}\right) dx &= \left( \frac{x + y}{x^2 + y^2} \right) dy \\ \frac{y - x}{x + y} &= \frac{dy}{dx} \end{align*}\)

Now make the substitution \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} v = \frac{y}{x} \implies y = x\,v \implies \frac{dy}{dx} = v + x\,\frac{dv}{dx} \end{align*}\) and the DE becomes

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x\,v - x}{x + x\,v} &= v + x\,\frac{dv}{dx} \\ \frac{x\,v - x - v\left( x + x\,v \right)}{x + x\,v} &= x\,\frac{dv}{dx} \\ \frac{x\,v - x - x\,v - x\,v^2 }{x + x\,v} &= x\,\frac{dv}{dx} \\ \frac{-x - x\,v^2}{x + x\,v} &= x\,\frac{dv}{dx} \\ \frac{-1 - v^2}{1 + v} &= x\,\frac{dv}{dx} \\ \frac{1}{x} &= -\left( \frac{1 + v}{1 + v^2} \right) \frac{dv}{dx} \end{align*}\)

Now you can integrate both sides.

I want to apologize here for removing the image originally posted and causing confusion and wasted time on the part of two of our helpers. I consider the time of our helpers to be very valuable, and hate to have squandered it.(Blush)

I had advised the OP that a link to an image of hand-written work probably would not get help, and boy was I was ever wrong. I should know by now our helpers will go the extra mile! I thought I was helping, but instead hindered. I am very sorry for this.

MarkFL said:
I want to apologize here for removing the image originally posted and causing confusion and wasted time on the part of two of our helpers. I consider the time of our helpers to be very valuable, and hate to have squandered it.(Blush)

I had advised the OP that a link to an image of hand-written work probably would not get help, and boy was I was ever wrong. I should know by now our helpers will go the extra mile! I thought I was helping, but instead hindered. I am very sorry for this.

I think you posted your solution in the question itself !

I posted what the OP can do on his own, and wanted to leave the last steps so he would actually have something to ask. I did not handle this well at all. (Giggle)

In fact , to solve only one line

I don't now why you used y=vx

relly I am confued now ..

my answer was correct but last step for solve

No harm done. I wonder if the OP can go any further now...

- - - Updated - - -

rsoy said:
In fact , to solve only one line

I don't now why you used y=vx

relly I am confued now ..

my answer was correct but last step for solve

It's a standard method. If your derivative is equal to some function which is a fractional combination of x and y, a substitution of the form v = y/x, or y = xv, is appropriate. You can see how it turned the DE into a separable one. You can now get a function v in terms of x through integrating, which you can then use to get y in terms of x.

MarkFL said:

I was pretty impressed on multiple counts.

I had started my reply and since there was only a link to an external image, I kept it short.
Then, when I clicked the submit button, the quoted OP in my post suddenly changed, metamorphosing in a long well formatted series of formulas.
When I looked at my answer, it suddenly looked kind of crappy. ;)
I quickly deleted it before anyone could see.

It was a fun experience! :cool:

Related to Show whether the given ODE is exact, then solve

1. What does it mean for an ODE to be exact?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is considered exact when it can be written in the form of dy/dx = M(x,y), where M(x,y) is a function of both x and y. In other words, the coefficients of dx and dy are the same, and there is no term involving only x or only y.

2. How do you determine if an ODE is exact?

To determine if an ODE is exact, you need to check if the coefficients of dx and dy are the same, and if there is no term with only x or only y. If this is the case, then the ODE is exact and can be solved using the method of exact equations.

3. What is the method of exact equations?

The method of exact equations is a technique for solving ODEs that are exact. It involves finding a function F(x,y) such that dF(x,y)/dx = M(x,y) and dF(x,y)/dy = N(x,y). Then, the solution to the ODE is given by F(x,y) = c, where c is a constant.

4. Can an ODE be both exact and non-exact?

No, an ODE cannot be both exact and non-exact. A differential equation is either exact or non-exact, and this is determined by the coefficients of dx and dy. If the coefficients are the same and there are no terms with only x or only y, then the ODE is exact. If not, then it is non-exact.

5. Are there other methods for solving ODEs besides the method of exact equations?

Yes, there are other methods for solving ODEs, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Which method to use depends on the specific form of the ODE and the techniques that are most appropriate for solving it.