Showing a fucntion is continuous on an interval

In summary, the function f is continuous at every nonnative number if for each ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(x)-f(c)|<ε for all x in I that satisfy |x-c|<δ.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Use the definition of continuity to prove that the function f defined by f(x)=x^(1/2) is continuous at every nonnative number.

Homework Equations

Continuity in this text is defined as

Let I be an interval, let f:I→ℝ, and let c be in I. The function f is continuous at c if for each ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(x)-f(c)|<ε for all x in I that satisfy |x-c|<δ.

The Attempt at a Solution

For x=0 is easy. I've shown that.

For x>0,

Let ε > 0
Let I=[0,∞)

Find δ > 0 such that |f(x)-f(c)| < ε for all x in I that satisfy |x-c|<δ

I know |x^(1/2)-c^(1/2)| ≤ |x-c| intuitively.

I've tried saying that since |x^(1/2)| ≤ |x| and |-(c^(1/2)| ≤ |-c| => |x^(1/2)| + |c^(1/2)| ≤ |x|+|-c| => |x^(1/2)+c^(1/2)|≤ |x| + |c|

This is where I am stuck. I am not sure how to show this properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
|x-c|<δ corresponds to (c-δ) < x < (c+δ). Choose either and show that |f(x)-f(c)| < ε, where ε goes to 0 if δ goes to 0.
I think you will have to use the approximation (1+x)n = 1 + nx when x << 1.

Well, first off, it isn't true that |x^(1/2)| ≤ |x|. What if x=0.25? Then x^(1/2)=0.5, so the inequality fails.

Let's look at [itex]|f(x)-f(c)|=|\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{c}|[/itex]. If you multiply the top and the bottom of the expression in modulus by [itex]\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{c}[/itex], then you get
[tex]|f(x)-f(c)|=\left|\frac{x-c}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{c}}\right|=\frac{|x-c|}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{c}}.[/tex]
Supposing [itex]|x-c|<\delta[/itex] for some delta that is yet to be determined, you have
[tex]|f(x)-f(c)|<\frac{\delta}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{c}}.[/tex]
We're nearly there... we just need to choose delta so that this expression is less than epsilon. However, we still have x in our denominator, and delta shouldn't depend on x, only c. Can you think of a way of manipulating this so that delta is a bit more... obvious to choose?

Don't look at the spoiler below until you've tried at least 10 minutes to figure this out, otherwise you won't learn. Real Analysis is considered the most difficult 2nd-year math course at my university, and if yours is anything like mine, then you will need to practice.

Hint: [itex]\delta=\epsilon\sqrt{c}[/itex] will work...

Sourabh N said:
|x-c|<δ corresponds to (c-δ) < x < (c+δ). Choose either and show that |f(x)-f(c)| < ε, where ε goes to 0 if δ goes to 0.
I think you will have to use the approximation (1+x)n = 1 + nx when x << 1.

The OP has said that their definition of continuity is the classic epsilon-delta definition. If they haven't seen the equivalent (rigorous) definition using limits, then I think it's inappropriate to suggest this approach.

christoff said:
The OP has said that their definition of continuity is the classic epsilon-delta definition. If they haven't seen the equivalent (rigorous) definition using limits, then I think it's inappropriate to suggest this approach.

Fair enough.

Thanks guys. I will work on it some more before looking at the spoiler.

Related to Showing a fucntion is continuous on an interval

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous on an interval?

For a function to be continuous on an interval, it means that the function is defined and has a defined limit at every point within that interval. This means that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How can I show that a function is continuous on an interval?

To show that a function is continuous on an interval, you can use the three-part definition of continuity. This includes showing that the function is defined at every point within the interval, that the limit of the function exists at every point within the interval, and that the function value and the limit are equal at every point within the interval.

3. What are some common techniques for proving continuity on an interval?

Some common techniques for proving continuity on an interval include using theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem or the Squeeze Theorem, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the function, and using the definition of continuity to show that the function meets all three criteria.

4. Can a function be continuous on an open interval but not on a closed interval?

Yes, a function can be continuous on an open interval but not on a closed interval. This can occur when the function is undefined or has a limit that does not exist at one or both of the endpoints of the closed interval.

5. Why is it important to show that a function is continuous on an interval?

Showing that a function is continuous on an interval is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and has no sudden jumps or breaks. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations using the function, and it also allows us to use certain theorems and techniques that rely on continuity.