1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing composition of functions are uniformly continuous

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    Showing the sum of functions are uniformly continuous

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f and g are uniformly continuous on an interval I. Prove f + g are uniformly continuous on I.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let ε >0

By definition, since f and g are uniformly continous on I, there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex]_1 such that |f(y)-f(x)| < ε for all x,y in I that satisfy |x-y| < [itex]\delta[/itex]_1

Similarly, for g, there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex]_2 such that |g(y)-g(x)| < ε for all |y-x| < [itex]\delta[/itex]_2

Then, for all x,y in I, |f(y)+g(y)-(f(x)+g(x))| ≤ |f(y)-f(x)|+|g(y)-g(x)| by the triangle inequality. This implies |f(y)+g(y)-(f(x)+g(x))| < 2ε

Choose [itex]\delta[/itex]=min{[itex]\delta[/itex]_1,[itex]\delta[/itex]_2} * 1/2

Then |f(y)+g(y)-(f(x)+g(x))| < 2ε for all x,y in I that satisfy |y-x| < [itex]\delta[/itex]

∴f+g is uniformly continuous on I.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but a couple of minor changes would make it slightly nicer. For your first two inequalites use ##\frac \epsilon 2## so it will only add to ##\epsilon## at the end. And choosing ##\delta##, there is no need to multiply by 1/2. Finally, where you have:

|f(y)+g(y)-(f(x)+g(x))| ≤ |f(y)-f(x)|+|g(y)-g(x)| by the triangle inequality. This implies |f(y)+g(y)-(f(x)+g(x))| < 2ε

you could instead just write

|f(y)+g(y)-(f(x)+g(x))| ≤ |f(y)-f(x)|+|g(y)-g(x)| < ε/2+ε/2 =ε.

Nice work. And, by the way, you have shown the sum of two u.c. functions is u.c. If you really meant the composition, you did the wrong problem :uhh:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Oops! I did mean the sum. I am not sure why I wrote that... Thank you for the suggestions. I will rewrite it to make it look nicer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook