Showing Continuity of a function

In summary, f is continuous on R if for any epsilon > 0, there exists a number delta > 0 such that if |x-a|<delta, then |f(x)-f(a)|<epsilon.
Physics_wiz

Homework Statement

Show that f(x) = x/(1+x^2) is continuous on R

Homework Equations

f is continuous at a if for any epsilon > 0, there exists a number delta > 0 such that if |x-a|<delta, then |f(x)-f(a)|<epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution

|f(x) - f(a)| = |x/(1+x^2) - a/(1+a^2)|

= |(x-a)(1-ax)/[(1+x^2)(1+a^2)]|

If I can show that the previous is <= |(x-a)(1-ax)/(1-ax)| then I can cancel the (1-ax) and I'll be done right? I'm not even really sure if I started on this the right way, so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
one way to try to figure it out...

Let e > 0. Choose d = ...don't know yet...
Suppose |x-a| < d, then
|x/(1 + x^2) - a/(1 + a^2)| = |(x -a + ax(a-x))/((1 + x^2)(1 + a^2))| <= |x-a|/|(1 + x^2)(1 + a^2)| + |ax||x-a|/|(1 + x^2)(1 + a^2)| <= |x-a|/(1 + a^2) + |ax||x-a|/(1 + a^2) <= |x-a| + |x/a||x-a| <= think about what you can say about |x/a|, then try to find a delta that works

this leads to a proof, but there might be an easier way, play with it, goodluck

Last edited:
ok I got it I think. If I set |x-a|<|a|, then |x|-|a|<|a| or |x/a|<2. So the original
|f(x)-f(a)|<3|x-a|. So, if delta = epsilon/3 then the definition given in the first post will be satisfied.

Side note, does that imply uniform continuity since delta depends only on epsilon?

Physics_wiz said:
ok I got it I think. If I set |x-a|<|a|, then |x|-|a|<|a| or |x/a|<2. So the original
|f(x)-f(a)|<3|x-a|. So, if delta = epsilon/3 then the definition given in the first post will be satisfied.

Side note, does that imply uniform continuity since delta depends only on epsilon?

good work, but not quite

first, if a = 0, everything is trivial(you should verify), so say a != 0

so we have stuff <= |x-a| + |x/a||x-a|.

as you pointed out, we need |x-a| < |a|. But we also need |x-a| < e/3, so choose
d = min{|a|, e/3}, then if |x-a| < d (this means we have both |x-a| < d <= e/3 and |x-a|<d <= |a| )

stuff <= |x-a| + |x/a||x-a| < e/3 + 2e/3 = e.

Last edited:
Another method, which may be simpler:
If a function f is differentiable at a point x then it must be continuous at x. Thus, it is enough to show that f is differentiable on the whole real line, i.e. that f '(x) exists for all real x.

1. What is continuity in a function?

Continuity in a function means that the function is defined and has a value at every point along its domain.

2. How can I show continuity of a function?

To show continuity of a function, you must demonstrate that the function exists and has a value at every point in its domain. This can be shown through a variety of methods, such as using the limit definition of continuity, showing that the function is differentiable at every point, or proving that the function is continuous on a closed interval.

3. What is the importance of continuity in a function?

Continuity is important in a function because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the function. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and can be used in various mathematical calculations.

4. Can a function be continuous at a single point?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a single point, as long as it is defined and has a value at that point. However, in most cases, we are interested in the continuity of a function over a specific interval or domain.

5. What are some real-world applications of continuity in a function?

Continuity in a function is essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and predict various phenomena, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of financial markets.