1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing det(C) = det(A)det(B)

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let http://imageload.dk/files/370495b6ec270c79fbf66c176f26e442.JPG [Broken] and

http://imageload.dk/files/6ec41abfcdc8d231593c4a5ee8ee4fe7.JPG [Broken]

where 0 is the j x k-zeromatrix.

Show that det(C) = det(A)det(B)

2. Relevant equations
    ??

3. The attempt at a solution

Got no clue. So I could really use a clue or some help here :)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2
    Hint: Use induction on the dimension of [tex] B [/tex], and expand the determinant along the bottom row.

4. May 20, 2009 #3
    Hmmm, not totally sure what you mean.
    Induction, isn't that the thing with:
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + n = (n)(n+1)/2 ?

Not sure how I use that on the dimension of B tbh :?

5. May 20, 2009 #4
    You can also use the definition of a determinant, i.e. the expression involving a summaton over permutations. Then it is trivial.

6. May 20, 2009 #5

C.E

Are you familiar with elementary matrices?

7. May 20, 2009 #6
    You mean:
    det(A) = a1jA1j+...+ajjAjj
    det(B) = b1kB1k+...+bkkBkk

And then when I multiply det(A) and det(B), I get the same as if I were to do the determinant of C, which will be det(A)*det(B)-0*0=det(A)*det(B) ?

Or that won't work because they don't have the same dimensions ?

8. May 20, 2009 #7
    A matrix that does the same to an already existing matrix, as if you were to row-operate ?

9. May 20, 2009 #8
    I mean this: If A is an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix then, by definition, we have:

[tex]\det(A) =\sum_{\pi}\operatorname{sign}(\pi)\prod_{i=1}^{n}A_{i,\pi(i)}[/tex]

where the summation is over all permutations [itex]\pi[/itex] of the numbers [itex]1\ldots n[/itex]

10. May 20, 2009 #9
    Ok, that way...

But how does that help me :?
    I can make det(A) and det(B) into a linear transformation, but if I do the same on C, won't I just get det(C) = A*B ?

11. May 20, 2009 #10
    Consider some arbitrary permutation [itex]\pi[/itex]. Then consider the contribution to the determinant:

[tex]\operatorname{sign}(\pi)C_{1,\pi(1)}C_{2,\pi(2)}\ldots C_{n,\pi(n)}[/tex]

Where [itex]C_{r,s}[/itex] means the element in the rth row and sth column of C. And n =j+k is the dimension of C.

Now unless the permutation [itex]\pi[/itex] permutes the numbers tranging from 1 to j amongst themselves, you will get zero. So, this means that such permutations [itex]\pi[/itex] can be decomposed as a product of permutations

[tex]\pi=\rho\sigma[/tex]

where [itex]\rho[/itex] permutes the numbers ranging from 1 to j and acts as the identity on the numbers ranging from j+1 to j+k and [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a permutation that permutes the numbers ranging from j+1 to j+k while acting as the identity on the numbers ranging from 1 to j.

Then, if you use that the sign of a product of permutations is the product of the signs of the permutations, you are done.

12. May 20, 2009 #11
    Hmmm, I'm really sorry. But I'm not sure I understand you here :?
    It sounds a bit confusing in my ears - even though it's probably not :S

13. May 20, 2009 #12
    If you are going to choose elements from the first j rows of C, then unless you choose them from submatrix A you'll get zero, right? So, the values you must choose from rows 1 to j are restricted in the range from 1 to j. Therefore the permutation [itex]\pi[/tex] will map the range 1 to j to itself.

14. May 21, 2009 #13
    Induction is a proof technique that takes advantage of an important property of the integers, namely, well-ordering. It's often compared to pushing down a stack of dominoes. What you do is show that your result holds for some base case (for your exercise, this would be the case where [tex] B [/tex] is a one-by-one matrix), and then show that if it holds for the case corresponding to a natural number [tex] n [/tex] (in your case, [tex] B [/tex] would be an [tex] n \times n [/tex] matrix), then it necessarily holds for [tex] n + 1 [/tex]. Carrying this out in your case isn't difficult, if you're familiar with this kind of argument.

However, I actually like Count Iblis's idea better here. Although they're easy to crank out, I try to avoid induction proofs where possible, because they typically don't confer a very intuitive grasp of the theorem upon the reader (or writer). The proof using permutations gives an immediate and intuitive idea of why this result should be true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook