1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing Isomorphisms in Subgroups

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a subset of Z x Z (direct product) where G = {(a,b)|a+b = 2k for some integer k}.
    I'd like to show that G is a proper subgroup of Z x Z and determine whether G is isomorphic to Z x Z.

I am pretty sure I have shown that it is a proper subgroup but the isomorphism part is what is giving me trouble. Here the cardinality of the two sets is equal and it seems reasonable to be able to find a bijection between them, but I am not sure on the details of showing this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may seem reasonable that if the cardinalities are equal there should be an isomorphism, but that's not necessarily true. In this case it is. Z x Z is an abelian group which can be generated by two elements. G is also an abelian group with two generators. Can you find them? Hint: draw Z x Z in the plane and circle the elements belonging to G. It's a lattice. You can get an isomorphism by mapping generators to generators.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    I see the visual representation, but I guess I am just not seeing how this gives you the generators. The only way I can think to generate G is with (2,0), (0,2) and (1,1). I'm also not sure how to map the rest of the elements that are not generators.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(0,2)=(-1)*(2,0)+2*(1,1). You don't need three generators. Clearly, (a,b)=a*(1,0)+b*(0,1). Only two generators. Your G is not that much different.

6. Mar 5, 2009 #5
    But don't the generators of G have to lie in G? Because 1+0 is odd.

7. Mar 5, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I meant (1,0) and (0,1) generate Z x Z. The point is that you can also find two elements that generate G.

8. Mar 5, 2009 #7
    Okay, I see it now. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook