1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that the euler lagrange equations are coordinate independent

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    so i know for example that d/dt (∂L/∂x*i) = ∂L/∂xi for cartesian coordinates, where xi is the ith coordinate in Rn and x*i is the derivative of the ith coordinate xi with respect to time. L represents the lagrangian.

so using an arbitrary change of coordinates, qi = qi(x1, x2, ..., xn)

i have that ∂L/∂x_i = ∂L/∂qi * ∂q_i/∂x_i and that ∂L/∂x*i = ∂L/∂q*i * ∂q*i/∂x*i and substituting i get:

d/dt(∂L/∂q*i * ∂q*i/∂x*i) = ∂L/∂qi * ∂qi/∂xi and using the product rule i get:

d/dt(∂L/∂q*i) * ∂q*i/∂x*i+ ∂L/∂q*i * d/dt(∂q*i/∂x*i) = ∂L/∂qi* ∂qi/∂xi

using the fact that ∂q*i/∂x*i = ∂qi/∂xi,

d/dt(∂L/∂q*i) * ∂qi/∂xi + ∂L/∂q*i * d/dt(∂qi/∂xi) = d/dt(∂L/∂q*i) * ∂qi/∂xi + ∂L/∂q*i * (∂q*i/∂xi) = d/dt(∂L/∂q*i) * ∂qi/∂xi+ ∂L/∂xi = ∂L/∂qi * ∂qi/∂xi.

if i didn't have that ∂L/∂xi on the left side then i could just cancel out the ∂qi/∂xi on both sides and i would be done. have i made a mistake somewhere or am i missing something? thanks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why don't you use the nice LaTeX functionality of this forum? It's really hard to read, what you have written. So I don't want to decipher it.

Here is my derivation of the form invariance of the EL equations under coordinate changes (diffeomorphisms). Let [itex]x^j(q)[/itex] denote the transformation with [itex]j \in \{1,\ldots,f \}[/itex]. Further [itex]q=(q^k)_{k \in \{1,\ldots, f\}}[/itex].

First of all we need an auxilliary equation for the time derivatives. From the chain rule we have

[tex]\dot{x}^j=\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^k} \dot{q}^k.[/tex]

Here and in the following I use Einstein's summation convention, according to which one has to sum over any pair of repeated indices. From this equation we see

[tex]\frac{\partial \dot{x}^j}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^k}. \quad (1) [/tex]

Now we have

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q^k}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^j} \frac{\partial x_j}{\partial q_k} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j} \frac{\partial \dot{x}^j}{\partial q^j} \quad (2)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j} \frac{\partial \dot{x}^j}{\partial \dot{q}^k} \stackrel{(1)}{=}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j} \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^k}.[/tex]

Taking the time derivative of this, we find

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^k} = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j} \cdot \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^k} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^j} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^k} \right). \quad (3)[/tex]

Now we obviously have

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial q^k} \right) = \frac{\partial \dot{x}^k}{\partial q^k}, \quad (4)[/tex]

and thus, if the EL equation are valid wrt. the coordinates, [itex]x^k[/itex] they are also valid wrt. to the coordinates, [itex]q^j[/itex], which can be seen by comparing (2) and (3) and making use of (4) and the EL equation wrt. [itex]x^k[/itex].

4. Jul 29, 2011 #3
    This is one of the mistakes. Instead, write:

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i}=\sum_j \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_j}\frac{\partial q_j}{\partial x_i}+\sum_j \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_j}\frac{\partial \dot{q}_j}{\partial x_i}[/itex]

You fergot the second piece. Remember:

[itex]q_j=q_j(x_1,\dots,x_n)[/itex]
    [itex]\dot{q}_j=\sum_k\frac{\partial q_j}{\partial x_k}\dot{x}_k[/itex]

so

[itex]\frac{\partial\dot{q}_j}{\partial x_i}=\frac{\partial^2 q_j}{\partial x_i\partial x_k}\dot{x}_k[/itex]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook