Showing the modified Dirichlet function is discontinuous

• MHB
  • Thread starter Usagi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Therefore, for the modified Dirichlet function $f(c)/2$ will not work because $f(c)$ is either $0$ or $c$ which can be very small numbers (close to $0$). Instead, try choosing $\epsilon_0$ as $1$ or any other number greater than $0$. In summary, using the $\epsilon-\delta$ definition of continuity, it can be shown that the modified Dirichlet function is discontinuous at all points $c \neq 0$ by finding a specific $\epsilon_0$ that satisfies the definition. This can be done by considering a sequence of rational and irrational numbers that converge to $c$, and showing that the limit of the function at those
Usagi
Show, using the $\epsilon-\delta$ definition of continuity, that the modified Dirichlet function, i.e., $f(x) = x$ if $x$ is rational and $f(x) = 0$ if $x$ is irrational, is discontinuous at all points $c \neq 0$

My attempt:

Is the following argument right (using the sequential definition of continuity?)

That is, consider any real $c \neq 0$, then, for $c\neq 0$, we can find some sequence $(x_n) \subset Q$ and $(y_n) \subset I$ such that $(x_n) \rightarrow c$ and $(y_n) \rightarrow c$ but $f(x_n) \rightarrow c$ and $f(y_n) \rightarrow 0$, thus $\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)$ does not exist and hence is discontinuous at all points besides $0$.
Now how do I prove it using the definition? I.e, I need to show that $\exists$ $\epsilon_0 >0 \ \forall \ \delta >0 \ \exists x \in \mathbb{R}$, $|x-c| < \delta$ and $|f(x) - f(c)| \ge \epsilon_0$. How do I find the $\epsilon_0$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usagi said:
Is the following argument right (using the sequential definition of continuity?)

That is, consider any real $c \neq 0$, then, for $c\neq 0$, we can find some sequence $(x_n) \subset Q$ and $(y_n) \subset I$ such that $(x_n) \rightarrow c$ and $(y_n) \rightarrow c$ but $f(x_n) \rightarrow c$ and $f(y_n) \rightarrow 0$, thus $\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x)$ does not exist and hence is discontinuous at all points besides $0$.
I agree.

Usagi said:
I.e, I need to show that $\exists$ $\epsilon_0 >0 \ \forall \ \delta >0 \ \exists x \in \mathbb{R}$, $|x-c| < \delta$ and $|f(x) - f(c)| \ge \epsilon_0$. How do I find the $\epsilon_0$?
Hint: In the proof of discontinuity of the regular Dirichlet function $\epsilon$ is chosen as $f(c)/2=1/2$ if $c\in\Bbb Q$ and $f(c')/2=1/2$ if $c\notin\Bbb Q$ and $c'\in\Bbb Q$ is some point close to $c$.

Related to Showing the modified Dirichlet function is discontinuous

1. What is the modified Dirichlet function?

The modified Dirichlet function is a mathematical function named after the German mathematician Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet. It is defined as follows: f(x) = 1, if x is rational and f(x) = 0, if x is irrational. This function is used to illustrate the concept of continuity and discontinuity in calculus.

2. How is the modified Dirichlet function used to show discontinuity?

To show that a function is discontinuous at a specific point, we need to prove that the limit of the function at that point does not exist. The modified Dirichlet function is a classic example of a function that has a different value at a specific point compared to its limit at that point. This discrepancy is used to demonstrate that the function is discontinuous at that point.

3. What is the domain and range of the modified Dirichlet function?

The domain of the modified Dirichlet function is the set of all real numbers (ℝ) and the range is the set {0, 1}. This means that for any input value, the function will either output 0 or 1.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the modified Dirichlet function?

The modified Dirichlet function is primarily used as an example in calculus to teach the concept of continuity and discontinuity. However, it also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as measure theory and topology.

5. Can the modified Dirichlet function be modified further?

Yes, the modified Dirichlet function can be modified further to create other interesting functions. For example, we can modify the function to output a different value at irrational numbers, such as f(x) = 2, if x is irrational. This creates a new function that has a different behavior and can be used to illustrate other mathematical concepts.