Showing the quotient is not a UFD

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    quotient
In summary: So I'm guessing this is a divisibility argument. I tried arguing that by re-arranging, we could get (y+1)(R(x,y)(y-1) - 1) = -P(x,y)Q(x,y) - R x^2 in which case since y+1 divides the left hand side, it must also divide the right hand side. Though I don't see anything coming from...It seems as though you're trying to use Euler's theorem to show that y+1 must divide both sides. Though I'm not sure how that would work, it's an interesting idea. Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on what you're
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Show that [itex] \mathbb Q[x,y]/(x^2+y^2-1) [/itex] is not a unique factorization domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

We have tried a few approaches. Using [] to denote equivalence classes, we note that we can write [itex] [x]^2 = [1-y][1+y][/itex]. Our goal was to show that this is a non-unique prime decomposition, but this doesn't work since neither of these elements are prime. Similarly, [itex] [x+y-1][x+y+1] = [2x][y] [/itex] but the same problem applies.

Next we tried playing around with evaluations of polynomials. In particular, in the quotient ring we can write any element as [itex] p(x) + y q(x) [/itex]. Taking a product of such polynomials and evaluating at zero gives a structure similar to [itex] \mathbb C[/itex].

Another suggestion was to use Laurent polynomial. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your definition of UFD require a unique decomposition into primes or a unique decomposition into irreducibles?

Both. They are equivalent in a UFD no?

If it's not a UFD then it's not the same thing (namely, elements can be irreducible without being prime). So your first attempt at x2=(1-y)(1+y) is a good place to look... it's not a prime factorization, but they are irreducible factorizations

Yeah, that had occurred to me, though I'm not too sure how to show that [itex] 1 \pm y [/itex] is irreducible. It seems obvious since they're monic first order polynomials, but I don't think I can just claim that (can I?). In any case, I would like to use Eisenstein's criterion but then I run into the problem of dealing with the prime ideals of [itex] \mathbb Q [/itex], of which there are no non-trivial proper ideals. Should I perhaps be looking at the prime ideals of in [itex] \mathbb Q[x] [/itex] instead?

Kreizhn said:
Yeah, that had occurred to me, though I'm not too sure how to show that [itex] 1 \pm y [/itex] is irreducible. It seems obvious since they're monic first order polynomials, but I don't think I can just claim that (can I?). In any case, I would like to use Eisenstein's criterion but then I run into the problem of dealing with the prime ideals of [itex] \mathbb Q [/itex], of which there are no non-trivial proper ideals. Should I perhaps be looking at the prime ideals of in [itex] \mathbb Q[x] [/itex] instead?

I fear you need to start with the very definition of irreducible. You ring is pretty strange, so you can't use Eisenstein.

Assume that y+1=b*c and obtain a contradiction.

I think what you're hinting at is a degree argument, in that the only way that product could be a first order polynomial is precisely when one is a constant and the other is a first order polynomial. Since [itex] \mathbb Q[/itex] is a field, the constant is a unit, so we can conclude that 1-y is irreducible. However, does this necessarily apply in the quotient? Degree of equivalence classes is definitely not preserved in the quotient so I don't see how that argument would work.

Edit: The degree of the product of equivalence classes of polynomials in the quotient is not well behaved, is what I meant to say. That's a mouthful!

Kreizhn said:
I think what you're hinting at is a degree argument, in that the only way that product could be a first order polynomial is precisely when one is a constant and the other is a first order polynomial. Since [itex] \mathbb Q[/itex] is a field, the constant is a unit, so we can conclude that 1-y is irreducible. However, does this necessarily apply in the quotient? Degree of equivalence classes is definitely not preserved in the quotient so I don't see how that argument would work.

Edit: The degree of the product of equivalence classes of polynomials in the quotient is not well behaved, is what I meant to say. That's a mouthful!

A direct attack would indeed not work. But let's look at it this way:

Assume

[tex][y+1]=[P(x,y)][Q(x,y)][/tex]

Then

[tex]y+1-P(x,y)Q(x,y)\in (x^2+y^2-1)[/tex]

So

[tex]y+1-P(x,y)Q(x,y)=R(x,y)(x^2+y^2-1)[/tex]

and now try to obtain a contradiction.

Sorry. I've been trying to play around with this but I don't see it.

Okay. So I don't think this is a degree argument. I say this because there is no restriction on the degree of x in this case. The degree of y could have lead somewhere, but the presence of the -1 really means that y can take on any degree.

So I'm guessing this is a divisibility argument. I tried arguing that by re-arranging, we could get
[tex] (y+1)(R(x,y)(y-1) - 1) = -P(x,y)Q(x,y) - R x^2 [/tex]
in which case since y+1 divides the left hand side, it must also divide the right hand side. Though I don't see anything coming from this.

If I could show that [x] is irreducible and that the only the image of constants in [itex] \mathbb Q[x,y]/(x^2+y^2-1) [/itex] are units, could I show that it is not a UFD?

Related to Showing the quotient is not a UFD

What is a UFD?

A UFD (Unique Factorization Domain) is an integral domain in which every non-zero non-unit element can be written as a unique product of irreducible elements. In other words, it is a type of ring in which every element can be factored into irreducible elements in only one way.

Why is it important to show that the quotient is not a UFD?

Showing that the quotient is not a UFD can help us identify properties of the ring or field that may not be apparent at first. It can also provide insight into the structure and behavior of the quotient, as well as implications for the original ring or field.

How can we prove that the quotient is not a UFD?

One way to prove that the quotient is not a UFD is to find a non-zero non-unit element that can be factored in multiple ways. This demonstrates that the quotient does not have unique factorization, and therefore does not satisfy the definition of a UFD.

What are some common examples of rings or fields where the quotient is not a UFD?

There are many examples of rings or fields where the quotient is not a UFD. Some common examples include rings of polynomials, rings of integers in algebraic number fields, and rings of Gaussian integers.

What are the implications of the quotient not being a UFD?

If the quotient is not a UFD, it means that the ring or field has more complex factorization properties and may have elements that cannot be uniquely factored. This can have implications for algebraic equations and solutions, as well as for theorems and proofs that rely on the properties of UFDs.