1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shrodinger Equation for Multiple Particles

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Five identical non-interacting particles are placed in an infinite square well with width L = 1 nm. I am asked to find the energy of the system if the particles are electrons.

2. Relevant equations

The time-independent Schrodinger equation for a system of two particles, both with the same mass 'm' is:

-h(bar)2/2m * (d2[tex]\psi[/tex](x1x2 / (d2x21)) - h(bar)2/2m * (d2[tex]\psi[/tex](x1x2) / (d2x22)) + V[tex]\psi[/tex](x1x2) = E[tex]\psi[/tex](x1x2)

All derivatives are partials.

Also, energy En = -13.6(Z2 / n2)eV.

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright so since the question specifies the particles do not interact, V = V1(x1) + V2(x2). As in regular Schrodinger equations, I want to solve where V = 0 and I can write [tex]\psi[/tex]nm(x12) = [tex]\psi[/tex]n(x1)[tex]\psi[/tex]m(x2). From here I'm stuck -- how do I solve for a system of five particles, and how do I find the energy from here?

(sorry for the typo in the title, by the way)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    Do you know how to solve it for a system of 2 noninteracting particles? It is treated exactly the same way for 5 particles.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook