Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shut up and

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a rant. How can some people be so incredible rude? The completion of the title of this thread is not shut up and drive. It's shut up and go to the bathroom. And if you must disobey this simple courtesy, don't do it with your speakerphone on. Please!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I was recently in the men's room at work, about to flush, when another guy picks up a call on his hands-fee cell phone. I'm thinking, "If I flush, that's going to sound pretty weird on his call, but I can't just walk away and leave, now can I?". So I stood there like a dolt, waiting for him to finish his call. Turns out it was a long call. Next time, I'm just flushing and walking away.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3

Evo

I absolutely cannot believe how many people go to the bathroom talking on their cell phone, and even more flaberghasted at the ones that call someone from the toilet.

What can be so important that you can't finish the call of nature before talking?

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My guess is they are talking to Nature :biggrin:

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who thinks this behavior is the pinacle of rudeness. What in the world is wrong with "Can I call you back in a few minutes?" No biological details are necessary; everyone is busy these days.

7. Sep 28, 2007 #6
    I talk on the phone at home on the toilet. I figure at home, I can always just go back and flush once I'm off the phone. When I'm at work, I leave my cell at my desk when I go to the bathroom.

8. Sep 28, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Too much information!

9. Sep 28, 2007 #8
    How is it rude ??

i mean ..look at it this way..you are so irresistible for him that he is multitasking with call of nature so that he doesnt have to stop the conversation with you in middle:biggrin:

10. Sep 28, 2007 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Please feel free to NOT share with us where you do your electronic correspondence from...:yuck:

11. Sep 28, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand it either. Even when home, how difficult is it to say, "Can you hold on a minute?" and go take care of business while leaving the phone on mute, or at least in a different room? Who wants to listen to all the sounds of you in the bathroom while you're on the phone? Not to mention that I'm not even sure how you manage all you need to do while holding a phone anyway. I have no idea how to button pants with just one hand. I'd probably be the one to drop the phone in the toilet if I tried juggling all that. :redface:

12. Sep 29, 2007 #11
    It's a talent, and I don't take my computer to the toilet with me...

though it is a laptop...

13. Sep 29, 2007 #12
    i do that :) but it's totally diff. than talking on the phone in a public RR >:-[

14. Sep 29, 2007 #13
    Ignorance is bliss

15. Sep 29, 2007 #14

males use their shoulders..right ?
    I am sure you wont miss the phone..females have natural advantage since they are endowed with heavenly body parts which will offer resistance in the way of the phone:rofl:

i am pretty much sure if these incidents are tested ..people normally in higher age groups and systematic organised minds will show disgust and negative response..its just that..they have less time but still time for everything:smile:

But probably if person is in some kind of job that requires him to be on phone may be like 10-12 hours in a day then i guess it may become different case..

And problem with people of your stature [ being a proff. ] that you cant try such things...right ?:smile:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  16. Sep 29, 2007 #15

Astronuc

I concur regarding the rudeness of people who conduct private conversations in certain public places, particularly those who did it with a loud voice or speakerphone. In the bathroom, it's not only rude, it's weird. I share Evo's thoughts on the subject.

The worst case was waiting at the gate to board a plane, and some guy was pacing back and forth yelling to whomever he was talking (I think his lawyer about a pending divorce). Many people were nervous, and I was just waiting for him to lose it. I was surprised security didn't approach him. Fortunately he didn't bring his conversation on to the plane.

17. Sep 29, 2007 #16
  18. Sep 29, 2007 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ignorance is essential.

19. Sep 29, 2007 #18
    Doesn't this have any hygienic implications? I wouldn't dare to touch any phone which has made a visit to the restroom. :biggrin:
    My personal opinion: Answering phone calls in a public toilets or any toilet is a serious turn-off and a case of poor etiquette.

20. Sep 29, 2007 #19
    A how would the person you're talking to on the other line feel?

Caller 1: "Hey...I hear an echo on your end."
    Caller 2: "Yeah, I'm in the bathroom."
    Caller 1: "Oh..."

Sheesh.

21. Sep 29, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a customer who wore his cell phone on his belt and accidentally hit the redial button when he sat down on the toilet. The recipient of this call later would say: I got a call, answered the phone, and then heard that most gawd awful sounds that I have ever heard in my life!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?