Crude Oil Storage Tank Mixer Sizing for Optimal Sediment & Water Control

• Thread starter Amir Sedieqy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sizing
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for mixers for a crude oil storage tank and the difficulties in determining the correct size and power needed for the mixers. It is suggested to consult resources such as Penberthy and the Chemical Engineers' Handbook for guidance. It is also important to carefully discuss and clarify assumptions made by different vendors in their quotes.
Amir Sedieqy
I'm involved in purchasing a set of mixers for crude oil storage tank. The tank volume is around 98,500 cubic meter. The main purpose of the mixers is base Sediment & water control (cleaning). Deferent vendors offered different number of mixers with different required horsepower. I'm looking for some calculation or methods to size the mixers myself, so I'll be able to compare these offers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd look at Penberthy for recommendations on this. They should have methods for calculating what you are doing.

My 5th Edition of the Chemical Engineers' Handbook by Perry and Chilton has an excellent section on mixing. This book is currently in the 9th Edition with a slightly different title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071834087/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Highly recommended.

There is a large difference in mixer size and power between "off bottom suspension" and "complete mixing". You will find that trying to calculate mixer size by theory alone cannot be done. Empirical knowledge is necessary. Mixer manufacturers normally have that knowledge, but even they sometimes learn something the hard way. As an example, I was involved in a project where the mixer manufacturer learned an expensive lesson on the difference between mixing precipitated calcium carbonate and ground calcium carbonate of the same particle size and concentration.

Your best approach is to first study mixing sufficiently to get a general knowledge of mixer theory, such as the section in Chemical Engineers' Handbook. Then go over the quotes with the sales engineers and discuss off bottom suspension vs complete mixing, and what assumptions they made in the quotes. Listen very carefully - are they quoting a large mixer that is larger than necessary, or a smaller mixer that will probably be sufficient.

Likes jim mcnamara, Lnewqban, ChemAir and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of a crude oil storage tank mixer?

A crude oil storage tank mixer is used to prevent sediment and water buildup in the tank. It ensures that the oil remains homogeneous and can be easily extracted for use.

2. How do you determine the optimal size for a crude oil storage tank mixer?

The optimal size for a crude oil storage tank mixer is determined by considering factors such as the tank size, viscosity of the oil, and desired mixing intensity. A thorough analysis of these factors can help determine the appropriate mixer size for optimal sediment and water control.

3. What are the consequences of inadequate mixing in a crude oil storage tank?

Inadequate mixing in a crude oil storage tank can lead to the settlement of sediment and water at the bottom of the tank. This can cause issues such as corrosion, reduced storage capacity, and contamination of the oil. It can also result in uneven extraction of the oil, leading to operational inefficiencies.

4. How does the viscosity of crude oil affect the sizing of a storage tank mixer?

The viscosity of crude oil is a crucial factor in determining the appropriate size of a storage tank mixer. Highly viscous oils require more powerful mixers to achieve optimal mixing, while less viscous oils may require smaller mixers. It is important to consider the viscosity of the oil to ensure proper mixing and sediment control.

5. Can a crude oil storage tank mixer be adjusted for different types of oil?

Yes, a crude oil storage tank mixer can be adjusted for different types of oil. However, it is important to consider the viscosity and other properties of the oil when making adjustments to ensure optimal mixing and sediment control. It may be necessary to change the mixer size or adjust the mixing intensity for different types of oil.