Side kick on a falling object, mechanical energy and work

In summary, an object with a 1kg mass falling free from a height of 100 meters will have a mechanical energy of 981 joules due to the work done by the gravitational force. If a second object with the same mass and height receives a horizontal kick while falling, it will have a longer path and therefore move faster, resulting in a higher kinetic energy. However, the work done by the kick is not 0, as the force and path are not at a 90 degree angle. The mechanical energy of the second object can be found by calculating the impulse of the kick and using that to find the horizontal velocity.
Karagoz
If an object with 1kg mass falls free (no air drag), from 100 meters high, and the gravitational acceleration is 9.81, then the mechanical energy will be: 1*9.81*100 = 981 joules.

The work the gravitational force does on the object will be: 9.81N*100m = 981 joules.

Another object with same mass (1kg) falls free from same height (100 meters) high, and gravitational acceleration is the same here too (9.81). But someone gives a horizontal kick on that object while it's falling.

Work.png

Both will fall on the ground at the same time, but the second object will have longer path since it's moved sideways. Longer path on same time means it moved faster.
Does it mean that the second object had higher kinetic energy?
Also that the side-kick gave it higher kinetic energy?

Or since the force is applied from the side, the grade between the force and the path of the object is 90 degrees. then it's:
Work = F*s*cos90 = 0?
No work done on the object means the mechanical force didn't increase or decrease. Both objects have same mechanical energy.

Attachments

• Work.png
    Work.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,487
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello

The second object had higher kinetic energy. But.
Think a little. Like Galileo. Or Einstein. He loves train...

If you let fall a stone in a train, stopped or running, the stone will fall on the floor of the train.
But if you let it fall through the window of the moving train, in addition to its speed of falling, it has the speed of the train. And she may break when she gets to the tracks.
Here.
Dylan.

Karagoz said:
Or since the force is applied from the side, the grade between the force and the path of the object is 90 degrees. then it's:
Work = F*s*cos90 = 0?
It is only 90 deg while the object is falling vertically. Once it starts moving off vertical then the horizontal force is no longer at 90 deg.

Dale said:
It is only 90 deg while the object is falling vertically. Once it starts moving off vertical then the horizontal force is no longer at 90 deg.

OP is asking about an kick to the side, not a continuous horizontal force.

pixel said:
It doesn’t matter. To properly analyze an impulsive force you take a finite force over a finite time, and then find the limit as the time goes to zero and the force goes to infinity. All of my comments apply regardless of the duration or magnitude of the kick force.

pixel said:
There are a number of ways to think about the situation. @Dale's approach is the most rigorous. One might also consider that the product of an infinite force applied over a zero distance is not zero. It's indeterminate. One has to use a different calculation (such as a limit process) to obtain a meaningful result.

Hello
Tanks for your answers, Mr Jbriggs 444 and Mr Dale.
But Galileo explains that carefully.
If something falls from a mast of a sailboat. Running.
For someone on the boat, it falls vertically
For someone on the dock, it does not fall vertically.
This is simply the "relativity" of the movement.

Dylan

Dylanden said:
You have to decide if you talk about two different scenarios (side kick vs. no side kick) or the same scenario (no side kick) from two different frames (vertical fall vs. parabola).

Dylanden said:
If something falls from a mast of a sailboat.
Neither @Dale nor myself are arguing against Galilean relativity. The objections we voiced were to an argument that an impulsive sideways kick to a vertically falling object must perform zero work because it is applied over zero distance.

Hello

Sorry. I just remember about this explanation.
For me a side impulsive kick gives cinetic energy to the object.
And the result is an linear rectilinear motion

Dylan

Dylanden said:
For me a side impulsive kick gives [k]inetic energy to the object.
Or subtracts it. Or leaves it unchanged. Which it is will depend on one's frame of reference.

Thank you Mr Briggs444

Totaly accord about frame of reference. I understand.

Dylan

Dylanden said:
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. You cannot transform from a scenario without a kick to a scenario with a kick. They are physically different, not the same thing from different Galilean reference frames.

Hello Mr Dale

I think you are right.
I will think about the result of a kick.
Carrefully

Dylan

Dale said:

I didn't get it. Both objects weigh 1Kg, fall free, and fall from 100 meters to the ground.
But the second object gets a kick from the side, so it doesn't fall straight to the ground. We can assume that the force of the kick is 100N applied in 0.02 seconds (an instant kick) on the side (like shown in the picture.

Mechanical energy of an object in free fall is: potential energy + kinetic energy.
When an object is falling free, the potential energy decreases while kinetic energy increase.

So the mechanical energy of the first object is: 1kg * 100m * 9.81 = 981 Joules.

But how do we find the mechanical energy of the second object?

Karagoz said:
I didn't get it. Both objects weigh 1Kg, fall free, and fall from 100 meters to the ground.
But the second object gets a kick from the side, so it doesn't fall straight to the ground. We can assume that the force of the kick is 100N applied in 0.02 seconds (an instant kick) on the side (like shown in the picture.
[...]
100 N for 0.02 seconds. How much impulse is that? If we apply that impulse to a 1 kg object, what horizontal velocity must it have to account for that added momentum? Whatever answer you come up with, let's call it ##v_x##.

When doing algebra, it's usually best to leave quantities in symbolic form and substitute known values (100 N, 0.02 seconds, 1 kg, etc) afterward

At this point there are number of ways to proceed. Let's take an algebraic approach. Say the object has a vertical velocity ##v_y## just prior to the kick. Following the kick its vertical velocity is still ##v_y##. Its horizontal is zero just prior to the kick and is ##v_x## afterward.

Kinetic energy just prior to the kick ("initial") is obviously given by: $$E_i=\frac{1}{2}m v_y^2$$
Speed just after the kick is given by the pythagorean formula: $$\sqrt{v_x^2\ +\ v_y^2}$$
Kinetic energy just after the kick ("final") is then given by $$E_f=\frac{1}{2}m\sqrt{v_y^2\ +\ v_x^2}^2 = \frac{1}{2}m v_y^2 + \frac{1}{2}m v_x^2$$
The delta is: $$E_f\ -\ E_i = \frac{1}{2}m v_x^2$$
That's the mechanical energy imparted by the kick.

Karagoz said:
The same way. As you said, KE+PE. The only difference being the different KE due to the work from the kick.

1. What is a side kick on a falling object?

A side kick on a falling object is a type of motion where the object is kicked at an angle instead of directly below its center of mass. This causes the object to rotate as it falls, changing its trajectory and ultimately its landing point.

2. How does mechanical energy affect a falling object?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic and potential energy of an object. As a falling object moves, it converts its potential energy (stored energy due to its position) into kinetic energy (energy of motion). The amount of mechanical energy an object has affects its speed and momentum as it falls.

3. Can work be done on a falling object?

Yes, work can be done on a falling object. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. When a force is applied to a falling object, such as in the case of a side kick, work is being done on the object and its energy is being changed.

4. How does a side kick affect the work done on a falling object?

A side kick on a falling object can increase or decrease the amount of work done on the object. If the side kick adds force in the direction of the object's motion, it will increase the work done on the object. If the side kick adds force opposite to the object's motion, it will decrease the work done on the object.

5. What factors affect the amount of work done on a falling object?

The amount of work done on a falling object depends on the force applied to the object, the distance over which the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied. These factors can be manipulated through a side kick or other external forces to change the amount of work done on the object.