Is the IPSP at University of Leipzig Right for a Future in Theoretical HEP?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
Anvesh Raje said:
Dear Lexy,

Thank you for giving better insight about the Bachelor-IPSP. I have already applied for the IPSP and I am going to enrol in 3rd semester directly, which means I would be studying with you from this winter. I have done B.Eng (Hon) Electronic Engineering and MSc in Nanoelectronics and Nanomechanics from the United Kingdom. The IPSP would give me physics background in order to find a PhD in field of condensed matter physics. I have already done applied physics, however my intension to join is to comprehend the theoretical side of physics. After reading your post I feel that so far I have made right choice.

As you know I would be skipping first and second semester, so do you have any advice for me before joining the 3rd Semester?

Danke während Ihrer Zeit.

Kind Regards,
Anvesh Raje

Hey Anvesh, as someone who has been accepted to the program with prior degrees, I'm hoping you can answer a question for me. Were your high school/secondary school grades/diploma still required for your application, or did they only require college transcripts? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hello, maybe someone knows about TestAs, is it necessary for application or not? I know it gives bonus points, but really, has anyone passed this exam just for better points?
And what about contest? Does it exist? or everyone can enroll to the course?

I think anybody can enroll.

Hello Rohan,I am looking to apply for International physics for this upcoming winter 2016,can you say me is it possible to apply with just secondary school leaving certificate from India??
Thank you

Hello Guys,Do anyone studying International physics in University of Leipzig here Is it possible to enrol with Just secondary school leaving without previous study in university,I got a reply from International office stating that you can not enrol if u don't have previous credits from University.

Sidnikhil said:
I got a reply from International office stating that you can not enrol if u don't have previous credits from University.

Let me see if I get this straight. You asked the University, they said no, and now you're asking us? IKf we said "yes", what are you going to do? Go back to the University and say, "But some guys on the internet said you would!"

Likes Abdul Muhaymin, Manik Dawar, rfranceschetti and 2 others
Sidnikhil said:
Hello Guys,Do anyone studying International physics in University of Leipzig here Is it possible to enrol with Just secondary school leaving without previous study in university,I got a reply from International office stating that you can not enrol if u don't have previous credits from University.

please use the anabin database.

A
lso note, the quality of English programs is far inferior to their German counterparts. Germany is better for graduate level courses in English. I really do not recommend coming here for this course unless you are BOTH:

1. Extremely good at mathematics.
2. Extremely hard working and motivated.

Studies in German universities are very swim or drown, with professors who do teach but giant lecture halls, overcrowded lessons, absolutely no spoon-feeding etc etc. Many students at technical and scientific courses will find themselves just working towards a pass in some modules, it is tough and the learning curve is very steep. This program, well many have dropped out (its physics). According to the anabin database, you need one year of university in India (a study in science related field) to be able to apply. But I am not the authority on this, contact the right people. I had 5 subjects, 2 science one math, Business and English. I was granted admission but I did a levels.

http://anabin.kmk.org/no_cache/filter/schulabschluesse-mit-hochschulzugang.html#land_gewaehlt

Last edited:
Elizabat said:
hello, maybe someone knows about TestAs, is it necessary for application or not? I know it gives bonus points, but really, has anyone passed this exam just for better points?
And what about contest? Does it exist? or everyone can enroll to the course?
Elizabat! Are you going to apply to the winter semester? I will apply! If you want you can write me so we can help to each other. See you!

Sidnikhil said:
Buddy you should check if you have the requirements needed...the studienkolleg or something like that. The information is on the Universitiy website http://www.zv.uni-leipzig.de/en/study/international-study/international-applicants/bachelor-diploma-state-examination.html

Hallo! Is there anyone that will apply for the Winter Semester of the International Physics Programme at Leipzig? I'm going to apply. Therefore, if someone is going to apply too, contact me please, I want to know future classmates (if we are accepted).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys and Gals,
I want to desperately join this program but I just feel that my Maths is not up to the standard. I am currently preparing for this course. I am self-studying from this book called "stewart calculus, 7ed Early Transcendentals" I am in chapter 7 (Techniques in integration) now. This book also covers differential equations, Parametric equations, polar coordinates, Infinite sequences and series, Vectors and the Geometry of space, Vector functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, Vector calculus and second order differential equations. I am planing to finish all this in the next 5 months by studying in spare time in early mornings. I can apply for this course now and go in October this year 2016 but I just feel maybe I will not be adequately prepared. I can defer to next year October 2016 (which is quite some time away). If I defer can anyone tell me how I must prepare from here. Please quote the exact book I must have covered to feel comfortable in the first two semesters? Should I study linear algebra? what book?

Thanks for your help!

Damn why is it so difficult to become a Physicist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edmann said:
Hallo! Is there anyone that will apply for the Winter Semester of the International Physics Programme at Leipzig? I'm going to apply. Therefore, if someone is going to apply too, contact me please, I want to know future classmates (if we are accepted).
Hello Edmann! I am also probably going to apply for the IPSP. I am just not one hundred percent sure yet, because i want to make sure that this study program is going to be well organised and that i am not going to regret studying physics there. I was also thinking of applying in a german-taught physics program in Germany , so that i would be sure for the quality of the program, but my english are much better than my german and from what i found out probably there are not big differencies between the study programs, so why not choose this english taught program? Do you know anything specific about IPSP? It would be great if we could keep in contact and share some infos between us, so that we help each other.

sid0123 said:
Hey Guilherme, you should better contact the course buddy.His email address is buddy@physik.uni-leipzig.de.
As far as I remember, following are the documents you require:
1. Your passport size photograph.
2. Previous year certificate and transcripts.
3. English language proof (Minimum B2 Level)

You have to submit the online application at uni-assist and pay a small registration fees. After that you have to take a printout of the application form and along with verified above mentioned documents, you have to send by post to uni-assist.

I hope that helps.

Hi can you tell me the specific entry requirements for BSc Physics IPSP? There is no reply from the email buddy@physik.uni-leipzig.de. I am from the Philippines. I have already undertaken University level mathematics and physics courses but did not gain a degree. I mean I was in the BSc Physics programme. I have received credits for Higher maths such as Vector Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus, Fourier Analysis, Mathematical Analysis, Mathematical Physics, and Higher physics courses such as classical mechanics, electromagnetic theory, statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics. I did not get the degree since I was unable to present a thesis and did not finish one coursework. So I decided to apply to change other environment of study.
I want to apply to undergraduate IPSP at Leipzig. Thank you for your kind reply!

Last edited:
Hello. Has anyone sent a motivation letter with the application documents? In the uni-asisst page says that a motivation letter is required but in the IPSP page doesn't! Help me please!

Edmann said:
Hello. Has anyone sent a motivation letter with the application documents? In the uni-asisst page says that a motivation letter is required but in the IPSP page doesn't! Help me please!

He Edmann, I don't think a motivation letter is necessary. It is not stated on the university website/IPSP page. Cheers.

Edmann said:

Yess, I am going to apply for the Winter16 semester as well:)

Hi everyone, I am thinking of applying to the IPSP BSc for Winter16 semester, however I am running out of time processing the application documents or entry requirements since the deadline in submitting these requirements will be on July 15. The English language proficiency proof/certificate takes time to secure in my country. For the Letter of Motivation, I think this is no longer necessary since the programme has no admission restriction indicated in the flyer.

rudydutch said:
He Edmann, I don't think a motivation letter is necessary. It is not stated on the university website/IPSP page. Cheers.
Thanks bro! I have already sent my documents! Cheers man.

GeorgeAMA said:
Hi everyone, I am thinking of applying to the IPSP BSc for Winter16 semester, however I am running out of time processing the application documents or entry requirements since the deadline in submitting these requirements will be on July 15. The English language proficiency proof/certificate takes time to secure in my country. For the Letter of Motivation, I think this is no longer necessary since the programme has no admission restriction indicated in the flyer.
Yep buddy, the motivation letter is not necessary, due to this, I sent my documents! About you, did you take the toefl or the ielts? Talk to me via inbox.

Edmann said:
Yep buddy, the motivation letter is not necessary, due to this, I sent my documents! About you, did you take the toefl or the ielts? Talk to me via inbox.
Hi Edmann, what are the documents did you send?

Hello. I really need your opinions here, guys. My inquiry is simple.

I did science in high school. Then graduated Filmmaking studies in Spain. Now I'm 23 years old, and I'd like to apply to the IPSP, and I am aware of the preparation I will be needing, since I have stayed away from math and physics for a long time. I'll start math and physics personal classes before applying, then I'll probably do the introductory courses at Leipzig University. What are your recommendations so I can start the IPSP in good shape? Thank you so much.

Hey guys,
I'm also applying for Physik IPSP, has anyone been admitted yet? I submitted mine online in the 1st of April (sent the physical documents several days later) but have yet to receive any news. Anyway, I am not sure this is true but surfing through the faculty's page, I stumble upon this link:
http://www.omb-physik.de/
It's called Online Mathematik Brückenkurs (Online Mathematics Bridging Course). Apparently it was made by DPG (German Physical Society) and KFP (Conference of Physics Department) to prepare students for Physics course. Seeing the content, it doesn't seem to be too intimidating and it seems I have studied all of them. I plan to do the course anyway (since I was studying Environmental Engineering for a year before this, not too mathematically-intensive), continue to Linear Algebra and do some daily math problems to get the habit going. The only problem you might encounter is that it is in German. I personally have studied German to B1 Level - which is enough for Studienkolleg though not German courses, but I am not willing to waste another year on that - and I must say that the course is perfectly understandable.
To add to the admission process, it has no NC (numerus clausus), so everyone who fulfills the minimum requirements are admitted. So I would suggest everyone to research hard what they're going into, because I heard this course (especially IPSP) is notorious for its dropout rate.
Other than that, Wish you all good luck and see you in Leipzig! :smile:

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
Hi arya, have you logged in? Can u give us your username and psswd?

Hi maelSantiago, i am studying from this book called "Stewart's calculus" its quite elementary but quite lengthy. I am planning next year intake 2017. I want to finish this book and linear algebra before going there

Hi Ravenclaw,

I don't necessarily think it is entirely a must to master Linear Algebra (it's good to prepare of course), as that will be the subject we will start with in the first Semester. I would say the requirement would be up to Basic Calculus and Differential Equations. I heard from the students there that they will have a speedy course on High school maths and also Calculus before going into Linear Algebra.

You can try this self-test made by the Physics' faculty and see if you are able to solve it with pen and paper:
http://www.leipzig-studieren.de/fileadmin/www.leipzig-studieren.de/PDF/STUDIENGAENGE/Physik_Lehramt/Selbsttest/Selbsttest_Physik_Universitaet_Leipzig_Stand_Juni_2014.pdf
If you're fine with that, you're good for the studies.

For the OMB-Kurs, Yes, I have logged in. You can register as well with the affiliation of DPG for non-University students.

If you insist in doing it in 2017 however, I would recommend you to study German as well and improve your academic records. Who knows, you might as well go to the top Unis like Heidelberg, LMU or Karlsruhe IT.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
Hello guys, I am a Tunisian student and i will receive my secondary school diploma next week which luckily is equivalent to the abitur and allows to apply without a preparatory year. I got 84 in TOEFL and I hope I can send my documents before the deadline.
I am just worried about the difficulty of the courses. I can say that I am above average in mathematics and pretty good in physics in my school but educational systems are different... Can you guys tell me what are the most important topics I should cover this summer in maths and physics so I can have a good start.

Hey masmoudi,
I am also applying for the course. If you can understand german start off with OMB course that I have given the link to, to get you fluent on applied mathematics. Then go to Heidelberg prep course for Math for Physics.
As for Physics, once you get the math, I shouldn't think going into the Physics would be hard. I personally just revise on my Physics school notes and read anything physics (Feynman's lectures, Neptune File, Great Physicists, etc.) really. Any University Physics studies would still go through to the fundamentals again quickly I believe, so don't worry.
Here is some links I found for you to know what you can expect.

Links:
OMB course : http://www.omb-physik.de/
Heidelberg course : http://www.thphys.uni-heidelberg.de/~hefft/vk_download/vk1e.pdf#
An exercise Sheet on Experimental Physics I 2013/14:
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~pwm/teaching/ep1_ws1314/
A lecture note on theoretical Physics I 2012/13:
http://www.physik.uni-leipzig.de/~verch/TP1sub/Rem1-TheoPhys12.pdf
Exercise sets on Mathematics I 2015:
http://www.math.uni-leipzig.de/~sapozhnikov/12-PHY-BIPMA1-2/course.html

I heard that the theoretical physics lecturer might go into mathematical territory in which isn't covered in the Math course itself yet, and so a lot of self study is expected.

Hey Prasetya, unfortunately I do not undersrand german, I didn't even finish A2 level, hope things will be different in germany (I probably won't have another choice but learning it).
Thank you for the links, that's what I was looking for, especially the math prep course.

Hi masmoudi,
I am also applying for this same course. I have heard many views abt this particular course. Some say it's manageable some say its terrible. Even I was afraid of the same mathematical part all this time.
If u have a really good solid foundation in single variable calculus then there is nothing much to worry. Start building the rest from that.
As for the OMB course it's pretty easy. Don't worry abt the german language. The moment u start worrying abt it, the problem starts appearing even horrendous. So don't think of it as an obstacle.
Even I don't know german much. Just A1.1. bt I completed the OMB.
Use Google chrome for that and get the Google translator add on. It automatically translates the page. I won't say it's 100% accurate bt u can understand something from that.
Since u sd that u have received the secondary school certificate in ur country definitely u might have some basic knowledge that is more than enough to cope up with the OMB. Try to do the exercises. It's easy to understand because most of them are mathematical notations and symbolsd u know that Symbols speak themselves :) . So all the best and go ahead. Don't think of the distance u have between u and the course. Try to bridge the gap :) . U have enough time till October to prepare urself if u think of these as just passing clouds and not dead ends :)

Last edited:
Hello Bavithra,
Thank you for your response, u'r right, I shouldn't worry much. Since I chose mathematics as a special subject for the last two years, I do have a solid background, it's just I don't know what to expect in germany (it could be much more advanced) but since my secondary school diploma is equivalent to the abitur I should be okay. I just have to get to work, become familiar with the english terms since I received my education in french and fill some gaps.

Hi masmoudi,
Knowing a language is just a skill. Not a knowledge. Some tips for working on the math part if u feel uncomfortable...
1. Make a plan, first find out the parts that are common with ur high school syllabus and the 1st semester math. Check the theoretical physics syllabus too. List out the ones u don't know. Find a good reference book that is suitable for u. If u ask me I wd suggest calculus - early transcendentals by j.stewart. it has all the necessary portions that u might need.
2. Start working on them now itself. I accept that it's a huge book. Bt since u sd that mathematics was a major portion in ur high school studies definitely u will know properly up to integration and if possible it's applications. The first 9 chapters focus on that. U can simply go through if u wish to revise wt u studied or skip if u feel confident. That's around half of the book. So u will half only half of it left. Simple :)
Although math need lots of practice and repetition of qstns, that's not always the case. If u really understand the logic and reason behind it, u might just need to practice 5 qstns to master it while a another person who purely depends on hard work needs 10 qstns.
So completing the required portions before semester start is solely in ur hands. U have to decide whether u r a hardworker or a witty physicist. :)

Yeah that's what I meant by filling gaps (not the language thing). The good thing is that I'm excited about this journey so I am willing to put some effort into it. Thanks

Hi guys I've already submitted my application for the University of Leipzig IPSP program. However I just received an email from uni-assist notifying me that my application form was not among the documents that I submitted. Where do I get the application form then?

JJChong said:
Hi guys I've already submitted my application for the University of Leipzig IPSP program. However I just received an email from uni-assist notifying me that my application form was not among the documents that I submitted. Where do I get the application form then?
Check the Checklist pdf document at the bottom of this page
https://www.zv.uni-leipzig.de/en/study/international-study/international-applicants/bachelor-diploma-state-examination.html
I haven't completed my application yet so I can't help that much, but I think when you send your application form electronically you have to print it, signt it and send it along with the other documents.
http://www.uni-assist.de/faq+online+application.html#Do I have to apply online?

fares-masmoudi said:
Check the Checklist pdf document at the bottom of this page
https://www.zv.uni-leipzig.de/en/study/international-study/international-applicants/bachelor-diploma-state-examination.html
I haven't completed my application yet so I can't help that much, but I think when you send your application form electronically you have to print it, signt it and send it along with the other documents.
http://www.uni-assist.de/faq+online+application.html#Do I have to apply online?

Yes you have to apply online and thanks for the info. I have checked with uni-assist and confirmed that the hard copies of the documents have to be sent to them by post for them to process after applying online.

Likes fares-masmoudi