Sigma field generated by singletons of real line

In summary: The reason is that the space of all subsets of A is a sigma-algebra, and so is the space of all countable subsets of A. So the two spaces are isomorphic.
rukawakaede
Suppose set [tex]A=\{\{\omega\}:\omega\in\mathbb{R}\}[/tex]. What can you say more about it? In particular, on the [tex]\sigma(A)[/tex] the smallest sigma field generated by [tex]A[/tex], i.e. it is closed under complements/countable intersections or unions and the whole space is in the sigma field.

Clearly, if here [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] replace to a finite space [tex]\Omega[/tex], then [tex]\sigma(\Omega)=\mathcal{P}(\Omega)[/tex] since all subset of [tex]\Omega[/tex] can be written as a countable union of singletons of [tex]\Omega[/tex].

But it is not true for space which is uncountably infinite like [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

My initial thought is that [tex]\sigma(A)[/tex] does not contain intervals in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]. However i am not sure if I miss anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that [tex]\sigma(A)=\{A\subseteq \mathbb{R}~\vert~A~\text{is countable or}~\mathbb{R}\setminus A~\text{is countable}\}[/tex]

So it wouldn't contain the intervals...

Edit: Wow, LaTeX is acting weird. And I don't think I typed a mistake. anyway, the second line says what I think the sigma-algebra would be like...

micromass said:
My guess is that [tex]\sigma(A)=\{A\subseteq \mathbb{R} \vert A[/tex] is countable or [tex]\mathbb{R}\setminus A[/tex] is countable[tex]\}[/tex]

Edit: Wow, LaTeX is acting weird. And I don't think I typed a mistake. anyway, the second line says what I think the sigma-algebra would be like...

Thanks! I was looking for an argument for this. Now I know the key word is "countable".

micromass said:
My guess is that [tex]\sigma(A)=\{A\subseteq \mathbb{R}~\vert~A~\text{is countable or}~\mathbb{R}\setminus A~\text{is countable}\}[/tex]

Also, I found that the TeX rendering system here does not support \text{...} within the tex block. Refer my previous reply for this.

That's wierd, I never noticed \text{...} didn't work. I'm sure I used it before here... Oh well.

It's not so hard to prove that micromass' guess is correct. Certainly [itex]\sigma(A)[/itex] contains all countable subsets (a countable set is the countable union of its singletons) and cocountable subsets (take complements). On the other hand, it is easy to see that his guess is a sigma-algebra containing A.

What is a sigma field generated by singletons of real line?

A sigma field generated by singletons of real line, also known as a Borel sigma field, is a collection of subsets of the real line that contains all single points on the real line and is closed under countable unions, intersections, and complements.

What is the importance of sigma field generated by singletons of real line in science?

The sigma field generated by singletons of real line is important in science because it provides a mathematical framework for defining and measuring probabilities of events on the real line. It is used in probability theory, statistics, and other fields of science.

What are some examples of subsets in a sigma field generated by singletons of real line?

Examples of subsets in a sigma field generated by singletons of real line include open intervals, closed intervals, rays, half-open intervals, and the entire real line. Other examples include finite and countably infinite sets of points on the real line.

What are the properties of a sigma field generated by singletons of real line?

The properties of a sigma field generated by singletons of real line include closure under countable unions, intersections, and complements, as well as containment of all single points on the real line. It is also a sigma-algebra, meaning it is closed under countable unions and intersections.

How is a sigma field generated by singletons of real line related to probability theory?

A sigma field generated by singletons of real line is closely related to probability theory because it provides a basis for defining and measuring probabilities of events on the real line. It is used to construct probability spaces, which are essential in probability theory for calculating probabilities of events.