1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sigma-field on countable set

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone!! I have the following problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X is countable set if and only if the sigma-field 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is generated by the sets of the form [tex]\left\{[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\right\}[/tex] with [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\in[/tex] X

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The easy part is X is countable then...
    I'm trying to prove the other part. So, I know that the sigma-field 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is generated by the sets of the form [tex]\left\{[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\right\}[/tex] with [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\in[/tex] X. This means that 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] can be writen as

2[tex]_{X}[/tex]=[tex]\cap[/tex] [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex] are all the sigma-fields that contain the family of the singletons. But 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is the biggest sigma-field that can be constructed in X. That means that [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]=2[tex]_{X}[/tex] [tex]\forall[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha[/tex].

Now suppose that X is uncountable. Be the sigma-field [tex]\sigma[/tex] constructed in the following manner:

A[tex]\subseteq[/tex] X is in the [tex]\sigma[/tex] if A is countable or finite or if X\A is countable or finite.

It is clear that this sigma-field contains the class formed by the singletons in X. However, this class it is not 2[tex]_{X}[/tex], because if X is uncountable exists B[tex]\subset[/tex] uncountable with X\B uncountable. That is, B is not in [tex]\sigma[/tex]. This means that

2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is not equal to [tex]\cap[/tex] [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]

So, this is a contradiction and X is numerable.

So, my questions are:

1) Is this proof correct?
    2) If it is correct, I think that the critical point in it is this fact I used:

If X is uncountable exists B[tex]\subset[/tex] uncountable with X\B uncountable

How can I prove this? I think that I need to use the axiom of choice, but I have no clue how to do it.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    The rest of your proof looks good. To prove this step, well-order X (OK by axiom of choice).

Now let B be the set of points b in X that are not of the form b=a+1, for a in X.

Then B is uncountable (assume not and deduce a contradiction).

Then X-B is clearly uncountable (for each b in B, we have b+1 in X-B).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook