Is X uncountable if there exists a B subset of uncountable with X-B uncountable?

• Thread starter lreyvega
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, The problem is trying to prove that X is a countable set if and only if the sigma-field 2_{X} is generated by sets of the form \left\{\omega\right\} with \omega\in X. One part of the proof involves showing that if X is uncountable, then there exists a set B that is a subset of X and is uncountable such that X-B is also uncountable. The proof uses the axiom of choice and well-ordering of X to arrive at this conclusion.
lreyvega
Hi everyone! I have the following problem

Homework Statement

X is countable set if and only if the sigma-field 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is generated by the sets of the form [tex]\left\{[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\right\}[/tex] with [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\in[/tex] X

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The easy part is X is countable then...
I'm trying to prove the other part. So, I know that the sigma-field 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is generated by the sets of the form [tex]\left\{[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\right\}[/tex] with [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\in[/tex] X. This means that 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] can be written as

2[tex]_{X}[/tex]=[tex]\cap[/tex] [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex] are all the sigma-fields that contain the family of the singletons. But 2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is the biggest sigma-field that can be constructed in X. That means that [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]=2[tex]_{X}[/tex] [tex]\forall[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex].

Now suppose that X is uncountable. Be the sigma-field [tex]\sigma[/tex] constructed in the following manner:

A[tex]\subseteq[/tex] X is in the [tex]\sigma[/tex] if A is countable or finite or if X\A is countable or finite.

It is clear that this sigma-field contains the class formed by the singletons in X. However, this class it is not 2[tex]_{X}[/tex], because if X is uncountable exists B[tex]\subset[/tex] uncountable with X\B uncountable. That is, B is not in [tex]\sigma[/tex]. This means that

2[tex]_{X}[/tex] is not equal to [tex]\cap[/tex] [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]

So, this is a contradiction and X is numerable.

So, my questions are:

1) Is this proof correct?
2) If it is correct, I think that the critical point in it is this fact I used:

If X is uncountable exists B[tex]\subset[/tex] uncountable with X\B uncountable

How can I prove this? I think that I need to use the axiom of choice, but I have no clue how to do it.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
If X is uncountable exists B[tex]\subset[/tex] uncountable with X\B uncountable

How can I prove this? I think that I need to use the axiom of choice, but I have no clue how to do it.

The rest of your proof looks good. To prove this step, well-order X (OK by axiom of choice).

Now let B be the set of points b in X that are not of the form b=a+1, for a in X.

Then B is uncountable (assume not and deduce a contradiction).

Then X-B is clearly uncountable (for each b in B, we have b+1 in X-B).

1. What is a Sigma-field on a countable set?

A Sigma-field on a countable set is a collection of subsets of the countable set that satisfies certain properties. These properties include being closed under countable unions, countable intersections, and complements. In other words, a Sigma-field on a countable set is a collection of subsets that is closed under set operations and contains the entire countable set.

2. Why is the concept of Sigma-field important in mathematics?

The concept of Sigma-field is important in mathematics because it provides a framework for studying probability and measure theory. A Sigma-field allows us to define events and probabilities on a set, which is essential in understanding random processes and making predictions.

3. How is a Sigma-field on a countable set different from a Sigma-field on an uncountable set?

A Sigma-field on a countable set and a Sigma-field on an uncountable set differ in the types of subsets they contain. A Sigma-field on a countable set only contains countable subsets, while a Sigma-field on an uncountable set can contain uncountable subsets. Additionally, a Sigma-field on an uncountable set may have more complex properties to satisfy due to the infinite nature of the set.

4. Can a Sigma-field on a countable set contain an uncountable subset?

No, a Sigma-field on a countable set cannot contain an uncountable subset. The definition of a Sigma-field on a countable set only allows for countable subsets to be included. If an uncountable subset is included, the closure properties of the Sigma-field would be violated.

5. How is the concept of Sigma-field related to the concept of a power set?

A Sigma-field is a special type of power set. It is a collection of subsets of a set that satisfies certain properties, while a power set is simply the collection of all possible subsets of a set. A power set may contain subsets that do not satisfy the properties of a Sigma-field, while a Sigma-field only contains subsets that satisfy the properties. In other words, a Sigma-field is a more restricted version of a power set.