Sigma notation and telescopic problem

In summary, the telescoping sum can be evaluated by plugging in the first few terms and simplifying to get n^4 as the final answer. The relevant equation provided does not apply to this problem.
UWMpanther

Homework Statement

Evaluate the telescoping sum.
a) Sigma i=1 to n [i^4 - (i - 1)^4]

Homework Equations

sigma i=1 to n [f(1) - f(i+1)]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i plug in for the eqns. and get 1^4 - n^4

the correct answer should be n^4 but don't know how to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're "relevant equation" doesn't apply to this problem. Just think about it by plugging in the first few terms should be obvious why it's n^4.

DO it again, you'll get 0^4 + n^4

spideyunlimit said:
DO it again, you'll get 0^4 + n^4

Actually, he'll get n^4 - 0^4. Even if they're technically the same thing, you don't want to confuse him more.

Righto! I'm sure the poster will get it, just try again carefully.

I kinda understand. I see how the first term becomes n^4 but why is the last 0?

Have you actually written down, say, the first 10 terms?

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent sums. It is written as Σ followed by an expression, starting from an index value and ending at a limit value. For example, Σn=1 to 5 n^2 represents the sum of the squares of the numbers from 1 to 5.

2. How is sigma notation useful?

Sigma notation allows for a compact and efficient representation of sums, making it easier to work with large sums and series. It also allows for the use of mathematical operations and functions within the expression. Sigma notation is commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other mathematical fields.

3. What is a telescopic problem in sigma notation?

A telescopic problem in sigma notation is a type of sum where most of the terms cancel out, leaving only a few terms to be evaluated. This can be done by manipulating the expression to create a telescoping effect, where the terms collapse on each other and cancel out.

4. How do you solve a telescopic problem in sigma notation?

To solve a telescopic problem in sigma notation, you need to identify the pattern of terms that cancel out. This can be done by writing out a few terms and looking for a common factor or difference. Once the pattern is identified, you can use it to simplify the expression and evaluate the sum.

5. What are some real-world applications of sigma notation and telescopic problems?

Sigma notation and telescopic problems have various real-world applications, such as in finance and economics for calculating compound interest and finding the present value of investments. They are also used in physics and engineering for calculating the total displacement or velocity of a moving object. Additionally, they can be used in statistics for calculating probabilities and in computer science for optimizing algorithms.