Sign convention of fixed end moment at cantilever beam

This means that the internal moment at A must be clockwise, even though the author has drawn it unconventionally.
fonseh

Homework Statement

I don't understand why the fixed end moment at AE is 10KNm ( clockwise) .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Forger about the sign convention here , i have the resultant moment = 10KNm , which ic clockwise , why in the 2nd picture ( SFD and BMD part) , the moment is anticlockwise ?

The moment at AE= 5(2) - 10(2) = -10(anticlcockwise) , why it's clockwise as shown in the diagram in the 2nd picture?

Attachments

• 689.png
    689.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 761
  • 690.png
    690.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 704
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

I don't understand why the fixed end moment at AE is 10KNm ( clockwise) .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Forger about the sign convention here , i have the resultant moment = 10KNm , which ic clockwise , why in the 2nd picture ( SFD and BMD part) , the moment is anticlockwise ?

The moment at AE= 5(2) - 10(2) = -10(anticlcockwise) , why it's clockwise as shown in the diagram in the 2nd picture?
You must sum moments equal to 0 for equilibrium, so when drawing a free body diagram of AE and summing moments about the cut section at A, the applied loading is 10 kNm anticlockwise, so the moment in the beam at A in that diagram must be 10 kNm clockwise.

In terms of normal sign convention, clockwise moments acting on a left hand section are negative (hogging moments, beam bending convex downwards ), but unfortunately, the author drew the moment diagram unconventionally; it should me mirrored for conventional signage.

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
You must sum moments equal to 0 for equilibrium, so when drawing a free body diagram of AE and summing moments about the cut section at A, the applied loading is 10 kNm anticlockwise, so the moment in the beam at A in that diagram must be 10 kNm clockwise.

In terms of normal sign convention, clockwise moments acting on a left hand section are negative (hogging moments, beam bending convex downwards ), but unfortunately, the author drew the moment diagram unconventionally; it should me mirrored for conventional signage.
Do you mean that to produce sum of moment = 0 , the moment should counter The moment at AE= 5(2) - 10(2) = -10(anticlcockwise) , so , the moment is clockwise ?

PhanthomJay said:
clockwise moments acting on a left hand section are negative
The moment is clockwise , so they it's neagtive -10 as stated by the author , right ? anything wrong with it ?

fonseh said:
The moment is clockwise , so they it's neagtive -10 as stated by the author , right ? anything wrong with it ?
I'm not sure what the author is stating. The internal moment at A acting on Section AE is clockwise. The picture is confusing I think. Clockwise moments acting on left hand sections are negative, by convention. But the author goes against convention when drawing the moment diagram, and shows the moment as positive. You can argue that being unconventional is ok, but it is wrong as far as I am concerned, because it does not follow the calculus of dM/dx = V

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
I'm not sure what the author is stating. The internal moment at A acting on Section AE is clockwise.
Can you explain why the internal moment is clockwise of 10 ?

Should i explain in this way ? Since internal moment = reaction moment , so at left of A , the moment resultant = 10Nm anticlockwise , reaction moment has to be 10NM clockwise ??

fonseh said:
Can you explain why the internal moment is clockwise of 10 ?

Should i explain in this way ? Since internal moment = reaction moment , so at left of A , the moment resultant = 10Nm anticlockwise , reaction moment has to be 10NM clockwise ??
Since internal moment = reaction moment , so at left of A , the moment resultant = 10Nm anticlockwise , reaction moment has to be 10NM clockwise, in order to satisfy the equilibrium requirement that the sum of all moments about any point must equal 0.

Likes fonseh

1. What is the sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam?

The sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam follows the right-hand rule, where a clockwise moment is considered positive and a counterclockwise moment is considered negative.

2. How is the fixed end moment at cantilever beam calculated?

The fixed end moment at cantilever beam is calculated by multiplying the applied load by the distance from the fixed end to the point where the moment is being calculated.

3. What is the purpose of the sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam?

The sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam is used to determine the direction and magnitude of bending moments and shear forces in the beam, which are crucial in structural analysis and design.

4. Can the sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam be applied to all types of beams?

No, the sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam is specifically used for cantilever beams, where one end is fixed and the other end is free to rotate.

5. How does the sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam affect the deflection of the beam?

The sign convention for fixed end moment at cantilever beam determines the direction of the bending moment, which in turn affects the direction and magnitude of the deflection of the beam. A positive moment will result in a concave upward deflection, while a negative moment will result in a concave downward deflection.