Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal attenuator controllable by UDP,TCPIP?

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Hello as part of a degree project I need to simulate digital television picture breakup, as demonstrated when the signal level is low or interferred with. I have found manual attenuators which are quite cheap but I need to automate the process with software on a pc. Is there anyway possible of acheiving this?
    I envisage a pc running a usb tv receiever, the aerial coax cable plugged into a signal attenuator, the signal attenuantor having a serial input which allows the attenuation to be controlled via software on the PC. the software side is not an issue, merely the harware.
    Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2
    Digital attenuators were common place when I was doing RF. May need to build a simple serial to parallel interface, maybe with a convertor to BCD. These should be available surplus, based upon the magnitudes of quanity that I have seen scrapped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?