Silly Question on Binding for Piston

• Thread starter dsurfer21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piston
In summary: I don't see how this would help since there are other forces at play.In summary, the distance D1 has to be chosen correctly in order to avoid binding.
dsurfer21
Hi,

Another fellow engineer told me that for a dual connected piston guided inside a tube (as shown in the diagram below), the distance D1 has to be chosen correctly in order to avoid binding (I'm guessing from friction only) since there may be a side force present. This is ignoring gravity for now. In the example discussed there is a force F applied with some side force component Fn. I couldn't make sense as to why D1 is relevant. Can anyone explain it easily?

The only thing that comes to mind is that I see a normal force at point A and point B as a result of Fn. I can see how maybe there is a moment created at point B by the normal force at point A times the distance D1 and then a moment at point B from the force F times D2/2. Would the balance of those moments result in the value for D1?

b1.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
dsurfer21 said:
to why D1 is relevant
What happens to the moments you've described as D1 goes to zero?

Bystander said:
What happens to the moments you've described as D1 goes to zero?

The moments at point B would be

F times D2/2

minus

Fn/2 times D1

As D1 goes to zero the moment at point B would be F times D2/2. I'm not sure how this relates to binding unless a positive moment is contributing to a force normal to the tube and friction comes into play. Is there another correct explanation?

As stated the question is not very meaningful . Piston stability depends on many different things .

Thank you, I thought the same and I know there are other factors to consider for piston stability.

However I was asked what distance D1 would eliminate binding ignoring all other effects. Is this a matter of solving for the moments about point B and making sure they sum to zero?

1. How does binding affect piston performance?

Binding occurs when the piston does not move smoothly within the cylinder. This can cause a decrease in engine power and efficiency as well as potential damage to the piston and cylinder walls. It is important to address binding issues as soon as possible to avoid further damage.

2. What are the common causes of binding for pistons?

Binding can be caused by several factors, such as incorrect piston size or clearance, debris or build-up in the cylinder, or worn piston rings. It can also be a result of improper installation or inadequate lubrication.

3. How can binding be prevented?

To prevent binding, it is important to use the correct piston size and clearance for your engine. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the cylinder and piston can also help prevent build-up and debris that can lead to binding. Proper lubrication and installation techniques are also crucial in preventing binding.

4. Can binding be fixed without replacing the piston?

In some cases, binding can be fixed without replacing the piston. This may involve cleaning and lubricating the piston and cylinder, adjusting the piston clearance, or replacing worn piston rings. However, in severe cases, the piston may need to be replaced to properly address the binding issue.

5. How can I tell if my piston is binding?

Signs of piston binding include loss of power and efficiency, abnormal engine noises, and difficulty starting or running the engine. If you suspect that your piston may be binding, it is important to have it inspected by a professional mechanic to determine the cause and necessary repairs.