Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silver Surfer

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    The Silver Surfer can transmute molecules as when he passes thru a subway train in part 1 or part 2 and he can transform into pure energy.

Silver Surfer serves Galactus and destroys planets and let Galactus use it as sustainance.

Supposed Silver Surfer would use his power to separate the hydrogen from water and initiate nuclear fusion of the separated water. How big is an explosion per say cubic meter or cubic mile of water he would acquire the hydrogen from and cause nuclear fusion from his power?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Couple of things:
    1. Electrolysis is the process that separates H and O. It is endothermic, meaning he would have to put energy into it.
    2. Fusion is not the process that would put them back together. That would be oxidation (burning).
    3. If one were to try to fuse H and O, one might get Fluorine, but that's kind of debatable how the fusion process might take place. I'm not sure if fusion of H + O = F is exothermic - meaning it may not release energy.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3
    I mean after Silver Surfer uses his telekinetic abilities to separate the Hydrogen from water and put all the Hydrogen together in one place like in a bubble held by his thought. He then uses his power to fuse all the Hydrogen together like in the sun creating Helium. I was asking if this can create nuclear fusion and have a handy nuclear fireball for Silver Surfer (or any X-men) to use as a handy thermonuclear weapon to hurl at NATO or US Aircraft Carrier, etc.? Or should he first molecularly transmute by his power the hydrogen first to Tritium or Deuterium to make them fusion capable?

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation...

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Using telekinesis as a form of confinement for fusion is too speculative. Thread will remain closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook