Similar Equations to the Blasius Equation

• Thread starter xingxian
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is working on a numerator integrator for the Blasius Equation and needs to test its accuracy by comparing it to the exact analytic solution of a similar problem. They are asking for suggestions on suitable model problems and have already considered f'''+(1-f'^2)=0 and y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0, but are open to other suggestions.
xingxian

Homework Statement

Hi guys. I am actually not looking for solutions. I am now working on a numerator integrator for the Blasius Equation:

y''' +y''*y =0

where the boundary condition is y(0)=y'(0)=y''(0)-1=0

I have got the numerical integrator up and running, and obtain a solution which tends to a linear function as x tends to infinity.

However, I was told by my lecturer that I should test my integrator on another problem similar to Blasius, and we must know the exact analytic solution to that question to test how the error behaves with my integrator.

So may I know if you know any good model problem for this purpose?

I have found a few but non of them are really very suitable.

f'''+(1-f'^2)=0

or

y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0

Don't think these are good. Any suggestion?

Really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
xingxian said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys. I am actually not looking for solutions. I am now working on a numerator integrator for the Blasius Equation:

y''' +y''*y =0

where the boundary condition is y(0)=y'(0)=y''(0)-1=0

I have got the numerical integrator up and running, and obtain a solution which tends to a linear function as x tends to infinity.

However, I was told by my lecturer that I should test my integrator on another problem similar to Blasius, and we must know the exact analytic solution to that question to test how the error behaves with my integrator.

So may I know if you know any good model problem for this purpose?

I have found a few but non of them are really very suitable.

f'''+(1-f'^2)=0

or

y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0

Don't think these are good. Any suggestion?

Really appreciate it!

Fire up Mathematica and start running the differential equation solver first starting with your equation which Mathematica can's solve, then start modifying it until Mathematica comes up with a solution:

DSolve[y'''[t]+y''[t] y[t]==0,y,t]

no

DSolve[y'''[t]+y'[t]^2==0,y,t]

no

DSolve[y'''[t]+y[t] y'[t]==0, y,t]

. . . close enough for me. Also, looks like you wrote it as an IVP when I think it's a boundary-value problem and I'm not sure, but I don't think DSolve can solve these. Check. BVPs are usually solved numerically in Mathematica.

Last edited:
Hi Jackmell!

Thanks so much for your reply!

Actually we were given and IVP. but then I realized that it can be a bvp but that will only affect the solution curve by a constant factor, so didnt bother too mcuh.

I know actually I can just fire up many program to do dsolve. (I am using Maple by the way). But the thing is that my lecturer specifically asked us to confirm the correctness of the ODe integrator whcih we wrote on model problems where the analytic answer is known. and the analytic model problems haev to be clsoe to the blasius equation to demonstrate the suitability of the algorithms.

f'''+(1-f'^2)=0

or

y'''+2y''y-3y'^2=0

the reason why I chose these two are because they are both 3rd order nonlinear ODE.

Really appreciate it if you or anyone has any idea on what model problems to choose. thanks a lot!

How about y=3/(x+1)? It solves y'''+y*y''=0, though you'll have to change the boundary conditions, of course.

FAQ: Similar Equations to the Blasius Equation

1. What is the Blasius Equation?

The Blasius Equation is a third-order ordinary differential equation that describes the laminar boundary layer flow over a flat plate. It is named after German engineer and physicist, Hermann Blasius, who first derived it in 1908.

2. What are similar equations to the Blasius Equation?

Similar equations to the Blasius Equation include the Falkner-Skan Equation, the Kármán-Pohlhausen Equation, and the von Kármán Equation. These equations also describe boundary layer flow over a flat plate, but under different assumptions and boundary conditions.

3. What are the applications of similar equations to the Blasius Equation?

Similar equations to the Blasius Equation are used in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics to model laminar boundary layer flow over a flat plate. This is important in understanding the behavior of fluids and designing efficient aircraft wings, turbine blades, and other aerodynamic structures.

4. What are the limitations of similar equations to the Blasius Equation?

The main limitation of similar equations to the Blasius Equation is that they only apply to laminar boundary layer flow over a flat plate. In real-world scenarios, turbulence and other factors can affect the flow, making these equations less accurate. Additionally, these equations may not be applicable to other shapes or geometries.

5. Are there any extensions or modifications to the Blasius Equation?

Yes, there have been various extensions and modifications to the Blasius Equation, such as the Falkner-Skan-Blasius Equation and the Blasius-Dubreil Equation. These equations take into account additional factors, such as pressure gradients and heat transfer, to better model boundary layer flow in more complex scenarios.

Back