Similar puzzles with different answers

• Thread starter bob j
  • Start date
In summary: So the probability of having two boys is still 1/2.In summary, the two puzzles may seem similar, but they are actually different problems. In the pancake problem, knowing one side is brown gives information about which pancake was chosen, resulting in a probability of 2/3 for the other side to also be brown. In the children problem, knowing one child is a boy gives no information about the other child, resulting in a probability of 1/2 for both children to be boys.
bob j
I have a question about two puzzles that seem similar to me, but I have different answers to them.

One is the following:
You have a hat in which there are three pancakes: One is golden on both sides, one is brown on both sides, and one is golden on one side and brown on the other. You withdraw one pancake, look at one side, and see that it is brown. What is the probability that the other side is brown?

The answer is 2/3 and uses the fact that you had twice as much of probability of choosing the pancake with double brown.

The other problem is this:
Ms. X has two children. You see her walking with one of her children and that child is a boy. What is the probability that both children are boys?
I found this on a book and the answer was 1/2.

Are these different problems? They look the same to me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
These are different problems. In one case, you know how many golden and brown pancake sides there are. Finding a brown one gives you information about which pancake you picked. In the other case, you have no idea what the genders of the two children are, so the gender of one gives no information about the gender of the other. If you knew there was one boy and one girl, or two boys, you would be able to say the gender of the one not present with certainty, but you don't have this information, so information about one says nothing about the other.

could you possibly tell me how to derive that mathematically? It is not clear to me why knowing one side of the pancake is brown is not equivalent to knowing that one child is a boy.

Thanks a lot

For the pancake problem, I'm equally likely to pick any side of any pancake. I picked a brown side. There are three brown sides, two of them on the all brown pancake, one on the half brown one. The odds that I picked the all brown pancake then must be 2/3.

For the other case, knowing one kid is a boy, that gives me no information about the other one since I don't know the total numbers.

for your question! These may seem like similar problems, but they are actually different. The first problem involves probability and the likelihood of choosing a specific pancake from a hat. The second problem involves the probability of having a specific gender combination for a family with two children. While they both involve probabilities, they are asking for different things and therefore have different answers. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to find a solution.

Related to Similar puzzles with different answers

Q: What is the concept of similar puzzles with different answers?

The concept of similar puzzles with different answers is that there are multiple ways to solve a particular problem or puzzle, and each solution may be different but still valid.

Q: How do similar puzzles with different answers arise?

Similar puzzles with different answers can arise due to a variety of factors, such as different starting conditions, different approaches or strategies, or even different interpretations of the problem itself.

Q: What is the significance of studying similar puzzles with different answers?

Studying similar puzzles with different answers can help us understand the complexity of problem-solving and the diversity of human thinking. It can also lead to new insights and innovations in various fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and psychology.

Q: How can we determine which answer is the "correct" one for a similar puzzle?

In most cases, there is no single "correct" answer for a similar puzzle. Instead, it is important to evaluate the validity and effectiveness of each solution and consider the context and purpose of the puzzle. Collaboration and discussion with others can also help in determining the best answer.

Q: Is it possible for similar puzzles with different answers to have more than one correct solution?

Yes, it is possible for similar puzzles with different answers to have multiple correct solutions. This is especially true for complex or open-ended problems that have multiple valid approaches and solutions. It highlights the importance of considering different perspectives and being open to diverse solutions.