Simple algebra problem, what am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses common problems and questions that students may encounter while solving algebra problems. The reasons for getting different or incorrect answers could be due to calculation errors, using the wrong formula or method, or sign errors. When having trouble solving a problem, it is recommended to review the basics, break the problem down into smaller steps, and seek help from a teacher or tutor. The use of letters in equations is explained as a way to represent unknown quantities, and it is important to understand the meaning of each letter. While some problems may be solved using basic arithmetic, algebra is necessary for more complex problems and is a valuable skill to have.
uperkurk
[tex](x+2)-(3x-2)=x+3[/tex]
[tex]2x+4=x+3[/tex]
[tex]x+4=3[/tex]
[tex]x=-1[/tex]

but wolfram says the answer is [itex]x=\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

I can't see where I went wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The second line is ##-2x + 4 = x + 3##.
##x - 3x = -2x##, not ##2x##.

LastOneStanding said:
The second line is ##-2x + 4 = x + 3##.
##x - 3x = -2x##, not ##2x##.

oh, clumsy error from me. Thanks.

Questions:1.

Why am I getting a different answer than the one provided?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be a simple calculation error, or you may have used the wrong formula or method. Double check your work and try again. If you are still getting a different answer, seek help from a teacher or tutor to identify the mistake.

Why is my answer negative when it should be positive?

This could be due to a sign error. Make sure you are using the correct signs (+ or -) throughout your calculations. Also, check the given problem to see if it specifies that the answer should be positive or negative. If you are still unsure, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

Why am I having trouble solving this problem?

Algebra can be challenging, and some problems may require multiple steps and a good understanding of the concepts. If you are struggling, review the basics and try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. Practice and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.

Why are there letters in the equation?

In algebra, letters are used to represent unknown quantities or variables. This allows us to solve for the unknown value using equations and formulas. It is important to understand the meaning of each letter and how it relates to the problem.

Can I solve this problem without using algebra?

It depends on the problem. Some simple algebra problems can be solved using basic arithmetic, but for more complex problems, algebra is necessary. It is a valuable tool that can be applied to various real-life situations, so it is important to practice and improve your algebra skills.