Simple area between curves question

In summary, to find the area of the region enclosed by the curves f(y)=1-y^2 and g(y)=y^2-1, we can use the integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions over the interval [-1,1]. This is because the curves intersect at y=-1 and y=1, and f(y) is always greater than g(y) in this region. Therefore, the area is given by the integral of f(y)-g(y) over the interval [-1,1].
Gauss177

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the following curves:
f(y)=1-y^2
g(y)=y^2-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused by the graph because the region enclosed has positive and negative parts, and I can't determine whether f(y)>g(y), g(y)>f(y), or what. I'm not sure what to integrate here.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use the modulus function;

[tex]A = \int^{a}_{b} \left\|f(y)\right\| + \left\|g(y)\right\|\;dy[/tex]

Also, note that f(y) = -g(y)

The Solution to the integral [tex]\int f(y) g(y) dy[/tex] is zero, as f(y)=-g(y).

You could find the definite integral of each, absolute valued. Or a simpler method would be to use symmetry arguments to realize the solution is [tex]2\int^{1}_{-1} 1-y^2 dy[/tex], which you should be fine with.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
The Solution to the integral [tex]\int f(y) g(y) dy[/tex] is zero, as f(y)=-g(y).

Are you sure that integral is zero? You might want to recheck your math unless you meant that product to be a sum.

Gauss177 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the following curves:
f(y)=1-y^2
g(y)=y^2-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused by the graph because the region enclosed has positive and negative parts, and I can't determine whether f(y)>g(y), g(y)>f(y), or what. I'm not sure what to integrate here.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
The curves meet at +1 and -1. You need the area between the curves as y goes from +1 to -1. I'm not sure why you can't tell that f(y) =>g(y) in that region: f(0)=1 and g(0)=-1, so it is clear which is 'on top'. The area is just the integral of f(y)-g(y); I don't mind telling you this (we aren't supposed to just hand out answers) since it is just what you were told in class/in the book. It doesn't matter whether f or g are positive or negative individually: you only care about one relative to the other, the actual signs of f and g don't matter.

For any functions f, and g, the area bound between them between a and b is always

[tex] \int_a^b \max(f(t),g(t)) - \min(f(t),g(t))dt[/tex]

a=-1, b=1 here, and f(t)=>g(t) for all t in [-1,1].

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is: A = ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the two curves and dx represents the infinitesimal width of the rectangles used to approximate the area.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for the area between two curves?

The limits of integration for the area between two curves are the points of intersection between the two curves. These points can be found by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for x.

3. Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the curve on top has a lower value than the curve on the bottom in certain regions. This is because the formula for finding the area between two curves subtracts the values of the top curve from the bottom curve.

4. Is the area between two curves always a definite integral?

Yes, the area between two curves is always a definite integral because it involves finding the area between specific limits of integration.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the area between two curves?

Yes, there is another method called the "slicing" method, which involves slicing the region into thin rectangles perpendicular to the x-axis and adding up their areas. This method is similar to the Riemann sum and can also be used to approximate the area between two curves.