Simple center of mass question - Thanks

In summary, the question asks to find the x and y coordinates of the center of mass of a system of three uniform metre sticks, with each stick having a mass of M. The first stick lies along the y-axis from y = 0 to y = 1.0m, the second stick lies along the x-axis from x = 0 to x = 1.0m, and the third stick is at a 60 degree angle with the y-axis. The formula to find the center of mass is Xcm = m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3 / m1+m2+m3, with each metre stick being replaced by a point mass at its own center of mass. Using this
nukeman

Homework Statement

Hey all. Below is the question and picture related to it.

"Three uniform metre sticks each of mass M are attached together as follows: Stick 1 lies along the y-axis from y = 0 to y = 1.0m. Stick 2 lies along the x-axis from x = 0 to x = 1.0m. Stick 3 makes an angle of 60 degrees with the y axis. Find the x and Y coordinates of the centre of mass of the system of three metre sticks, and marks its approximate location on the diagram of the three sticks."
----Sorry, its kinda upside down :)
j1251k.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused with this one.

Maybe let's start with the X

The formula I know is: Xcm = m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3 / m1+m2+m3

But how do I input into this formula... ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Replace every metre stick with a point mass of M at its own centre of mass.

ehild

How do I find each metre sticks own center of mass??

assuming each stick is of uniform density, it will be in the physical center of the stick.

[itex] x_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i} x_{i}}{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i}} [/itex]

[itex] y_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i} y_{i}}{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i}} [/itex]

these describe the center of mass, but assuming it is uniform, the masses are taken out and you are left with just the physical center:

[itex]x_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{N} x_{i}}{N}[/itex]

[itex]y_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{N} y_{i}}{N}[/itex]

now plug that into the same equation for all three sticks:

[itex]x_{cm} = \frac{x_{cm1} + x_{cm2} + x_{sm3}}{3}[/itex]

[itex]y_{cm} = \frac{y_{cm1} + y_{cm2} + y_{sm3}}{3}[/itex]

Last edited:
gordonj005 said:
assuming each stick is of uniform density, it will be in the physical center of the stick.

[itex] x_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i} x_{i}}{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i}} [/itex]

[itex] y_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i} y_{i}}{\sum_{i = 1}^{N} m_{i}} [/itex]

these describe the center of mass, but assuming it is uniform, the masses are taken out and you are left with just the physical center:

[itex]x_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{N} x_{i}}{N}[/itex]

[itex]y_{c} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{N} y_{i}}{N}[/itex]

now plug that into the same equation for all three sticks:

[itex]x_{cm} = \frac{x_{cm1} + x_{cm2} + x_{sm3}}{3}[/itex]

[itex]y_{cm} = \frac{y_{cm1} + y_{cm2} + y_{sm3}}{3}[/itex]
What about the stick at the 60 degree angle?

Im actually having trouble with plugging the right info into the formula, let's say for X - what would let's say "Xcm1" be?

You can resolve the center of mass of the angled stick into its components using trig ratios.

[itex] x = \frac{1}{2} \cos (\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex]

[itex] y = \frac{1}{2} \sin (\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex]

and then proceed from there.

by [itex]x_{cm1}[/itex] i mean the x component of the center of mass for stick one.

is Xcm1 = .5 m?

nukeman said:
is Xcm1 = .5 m?

well that depends on what you choose to be your first stick. if you're talking about the bottom one then you'd be correct

Ahhg, I am not getting this. :(

Thanks for trying tho

keep at it, just try to understand what the formulas are saying.

keep trying, but you can check it against this:

[itex]x_{cm} = \frac{0 + \frac{1}{2}\cos(\frac{\pi}{6}) + 0.5}{3}[/itex]

[itex]y_{cm} = \frac{0.5 + \frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{\pi}{6}) + 0}{3}[/itex]

Gordon or anyone, here is what I got. Can you tell me if the answer I got to this question is correct, including image (posted below)

(.333 i + .168 j) m

Image of where centre of mass roughly would be?

55s2v7.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm this for me please ? :)

Two words my friend, radian mode.

dammit :)

How about now:

0.31i, 0.25j

Is that correct?

yup, now i'd suggest going over the problem again or making up your own problem simmilar to this one to practice.

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated, and the point around which the object will rotate or balance.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

To calculate the center of mass, you need to find the weighted average of all the individual masses in the system. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each object by its distance from the reference point and dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the system.

3. Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior of objects in motion. It is also a crucial concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is often the case for irregularly shaped objects where the mass is not evenly distributed.

5. How does the center of mass affect stability?

The lower the center of mass, the more stable an object will be. This is because the lower center of mass results in a smaller torque, making it less likely for the object to tip over or lose balance.