Convert Feet to Foose: Ann & Rachael's Heights

• Thread starter wakejosh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses measurements on planet Z and how to convert them to Earth measurements. It also includes a discussion about a dealer's claim about a sports car's acceleration and how to calculate its speed after a certain amount of time. The correct answer for the sports car question is D.
wakejosh
If i could get anyone to double check my answers on the following it would be a big help. thanks

On planet Z, the standard unit of length is the foose. Ann the
Astronaut is 5.90 feet tall on
earth. She lands on planet Z and is measure to be 88 foosi
(plural of foose) tall. Her crew
member Rachael is 94 foosi tall. How tall is Rachael in Earth
measurements?

i get 6.3 feet

5.9/88 = 14.92

94/14.92 = 6.3

is this correct? thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note the expression: y = A/x2. Which statement is most consistent
with this expression?

a. y is less than x
b. if x is halved, y is multiplied by 4
c. y is greater than x
d. if x is doubled, y is multiplied by a factor of 2
e. y is equal to x

I find that A seems to be true,, but the wording on D confuses me a bit.

OOOOPS, give me a moment... I'm rusty with LaTeX

It's always a good idea to write your units down when you're doing calculations. The technique I teach is "multiply by 1"... that is, if the numerator = the denominator, the value of the fraction is one.
[tex]\frac{3 feet}{36 inches}=1[/tex] because the numerator equals the denominator.

Now, all you have to do is worry about the units you don't want cancelling out each step of the way.

You could use [tex]\frac{88 foosi}{6.90feet}[/tex] as a multiplier, or you could use [tex]\frac{6.90feet}{88 foosi}[/tex] as a multiplier (to multiply by 1.

Now, you're starting with [tex]\frac{94 foosi}{1}[/tex] If you multiply it like this: [tex]\frac{94 foosi}{1}*\frac{88 foosi}{6.90 feet}[/tex], then your units work out to foosi squared per foot. Not what you want.

So, you multiply [tex]\frac{94 foosi}{1}*\frac{6.90 feet}{88 foosi}[/tex] And, your units work out to feet.

for what it's worth, "5.9/88" is not "= 14.92". You meant 88/5.9

Last edited:
wakejosh said:
On planet Z, the standard unit of length is the foose. Ann the
Astronaut is 5.90 feet tall on
earth. She lands on planet Z and is measure to be 88 foosi
(plural of foose) tall. Her crew
member Rachael is 94 foosi tall. How tall is Rachael in Earth
measurements?

i get 6.3 feet

5.9/88 = 14.92

94/14.92 = 6.3

is this correct? thanks in advance

[tex]\frac{5.90 feet}{88 foosi} = \frac{x feet}{94 foosi}[/tex]

[tex]88 foosi\,x = (5.9 feet)(94 foosi)[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{(5.9 feet)(94 foosi)}{88 foosi}[/tex]

Last edited:
:) Or you could do it as a proportion as Geoff did... The proportion method is easier for this type of a conversion; my method above works very well if you're converting something like miles per hour to meters per second.

where did you get 6.9? is that a typo? did you mean 5.9?

anyway, I run the numbers geoff did and I get 6.3 again..so I assum my answer is correct. thanks for the help

wakejosh said:
where did you get 6.9? is that a typo? did you mean 5.9?

anyway, I run the numbers geoff did and I get 6.3 again..so I assum my answer is correct. thanks for the help
Yes, your answer's correct.

yes, 6.9 was a typo... or rather, a memory problem. :)

great thanks.. one other quick question: can I just multiply 3.47 m/s/s by 5 seconds to get my speed after that amount of time? for example:

. A European sports car dealer claims that his car will accelerate
at a constant rate from rest
to a speed of 100 km/hr (28 m/s) in 8.00 s. What is the speed
after the first 5.00 s of
acceleration?

a.44.4 m/s b. 34.7 m/s c. 28.7 m/s d. 17.4 m/s e. 8.7
m/s

First I find the acceleration to be 3.47 m/s^2 now can i just times by 5? If so i get 17.4 m/s Is this correct?

FAQ: Convert Feet to Foose: Ann & Rachael's Heights

1. How do you convert feet to foose?

To convert feet to foose, you can use the following formula: 1 foot = 0.3048 foose. Simply multiply the number of feet by 0.3048 to get the equivalent measurement in foose.

2. What is the difference between feet and foose?

Feet and foose are both units of length, but they are from different systems of measurement. Feet are part of the imperial system, commonly used in the United States, while foose is part of the metric system, used in most other countries. One foot is equal to 0.3048 meters, while one foose is equal to 0.3048 feet.

3. How tall is Ann in foose?

To determine Ann's height in foose, simply multiply her height in feet by 0.3048. For example, if Ann is 5 feet tall, her height in foose would be 1.524 foose.

4. Can you convert someone's height from foose to feet?

Yes, you can convert someone's height from foose to feet by using the formula 1 foose = 3.28084 feet. Simply multiply the number of foose by 3.28084 to get the equivalent measurement in feet.

5. What is the average height of a person in foose?

The average height of a person in foose varies depending on the country, but according to a 2018 study, the global average height for adult males is 5.63 foose and for adult females is 5.38 foose. However, it's important to note that height can vary greatly among individuals and is influenced by factors such as genetics, nutrition, and environment.