1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple equivalent resistance question

1. Jan 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how many minimum no of resistances of eash 2Ω resistance can be connected to have an effective resistance of 1.5Ω

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to put 2 in parallel,series and different combinations.

After 5-10 mins of relentless trying i could not figure the answer[ I know it now ans=4 ( 3 in series with one in parallel)

My point being how to really get hold of this "type" of problem very quickly(objective type q).

and if its not too much could you point out some more similar questions to this on the internet for a grasp on this "Type" of question?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi shivam01anand! :smile:
    you're looking for a factor of 3/4

you only get fractions from parallel, so start with 2 parallel to 1 (doesn't work), then 3 parallel to 1 (does work, in this case), then 4 parallel to 1, then 3 parallel to 2, and so on …

in fact, why not write out a table of all combinations now, up to say 7, to give you practice and to see how it works? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted